cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacement window

azbohunter
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2002 5th wheel with a Hehr 8701 style window (#01-8701-00-0-217-536-357-0-4141-2551-0000). One of the center sections (jealousy) actually fell out while in a wind storm. The parts are quite worn and it seems Hehr doesn't want to sell just the part that is broken.
Question: Is there a national data base for used rv parts like there is for salvage auto parts. OR does anyone have any ideas?
2006 Dodge Quad Cab Cummins 5.9 Automatic 4x4
2002 28RKD Lakota fifth wheel
Pullrite Hitch
2006 Polaris Ranger
16'Lund w/50HP Merc tiller
A great wife who loves to travel and fish
I love to archery hunt/she joins me and cooks!
18 REPLIES 18

azbohunter
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
azbohunter wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:
azbohunter wrote:
I remedied the problem, I sold the rig and bought a two year old Artic Fox.

:h

Seems like an extreme way to "fix" the problem?

My previous rig was 20 years old, had lots and lots of miles on it and we spend 4 to 5 months in it every years. It gets used...If I could have found replacement windows we might still have it but time was right!

Mine was 30yrs old when I bought it with a broken window.

Local home and business glass shop told me to remove the window frame and bring to them.

Took frame to my local home and business glass shop, they matched the glass color, then cut the glass to size, then sent glass out to have it tempered, once they got the glass back they installed into the frame. I reinstalled the frame with fresh glass in the window opening.

Glass shop at that time (10 yrs or so ago) charged me a whole $50 for a 3' by 2' piece of glass including the Tempering and installation into the frame. Took about 1 week to get new glass.

I still think yours may have been able to be replaced for a more reasonable cost than what you were quoted but that was your choice.

Glad you are happy with your latest rig.

I had 2 jealousy window sections fall out (sections of a 3 section window) . Frame and all. Contacting Hehr they no longer make that window, not were parts for it even available.
As I said, we spend up to 5 months in our rig, and it was 20 years old. I felt that it owed us nothing and we are really enjoying something newer. It was a choice that we are happy with!!
Pullrite Hitch
2006 Polaris Ranger

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
azbohunter wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:
azbohunter wrote:

My previous rig was 20 years old, had lots and lots of miles on it and we spend 4 to 5 months in it every years. It gets used...If I could have found replacement windows we might still have it but time was right!

Mine was 30yrs old when I bought it with a broken window.

Local home and business glass shop told me to remove the window frame and bring to them.

Took frame to my local home and business glass shop, they matched the glass color, then cut the glass to size, then sent glass out to have it tempered, once they got the glass back they installed into the frame. I reinstalled the frame with fresh glass in the window opening.

Glass shop at that time (10 yrs or so ago) charged me a whole $50 for a 3' by 2' piece of glass including the Tempering and installation into the frame. Took about 1 week to get new glass.

I still think yours may have been able to be replaced for a more reasonable cost than what you were quoted but that was your choice.

Glad you are happy with your latest rig.

azbohunter
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
azbohunter wrote:

Pullrite Hitch
2006 Polaris Ranger

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
azbohunter wrote:

azbohunter
Explorer
Explorer
Pullrite Hitch
2006 Polaris Ranger

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
azbohunter wrote:
So I got a price from on aftermarket company, $2,185.00. I guess I wasn't surprised but that's crazy. Still trying to figure something out.

Which is why I mentioned to make sure you are sitting down for the price :E

The odds of you finding the exact window size in used is pretty dismal at best.

Most windows are spec built to the RV manufacturers design requirements and are not typically off the shelf sizes. When that model yr is over excess inventory is often sold off to a third party surplus re seller. RV manufacturers purchasing department if they done their homework correctly should have very little excess inventory to sell off at the end of that models life.

So, basically options are to find any and all RV junk yards and check what they have or make a trip to say Elkhart Ind and rummage through the surplus warehouses like my friend does.. Most of these places do not have an inventory list nor will they ship things like windows due to shipping damages.

You most likely are not going to find an exact fit or style and may need to consider a slightly larger window as long as you have the space to enlarge the rough opening. A smaller window would mean you would have to come up with some means of trimming out the opening smaller.

The easiest way is to swallow the bitter price of a custom made aftermarket window which would fit right in with no modifications to the opening needed.

You can check RVPARTSNATION.COM to see if they have windows, this is one that I bought from yrs ago but it was reported about a yr ago they were closed.. The Website is up so perhaps the closing was temporary?

"By Phone at (574)264-5575
Mon-Wed 9am - 5pm
Thursday 10am - 5pm
Fri 9am - 5pm
Sat-Sun Closed"

They are in Elkhart Indiana so time zone differences may apply and you may need to apply some patience as they may be slow at getting to your call or email..

They most likely not be able to tell you what sizes they have in stock, but perhaps they can tell you if they have windows.. If so, plan a trip and hunt through their warehouses..

azbohunter
Explorer
Explorer
So I got a price from on aftermarket company, $2,185.00. I guess I wasn't surprised but that's crazy. Still trying to figure something out.
Pullrite Hitch
2006 Polaris Ranger

azbohunter
Explorer
Explorer
Great advise on the after market window places. I will pursue that route and see what I can find. Thanks guys, I love this forum!
Pullrite Hitch
2006 Polaris Ranger

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can try Easy Windows They have instant pricing,types of windows you can order, and how to measure.

I replaced one of my windows and the staff there is very helpful and the prices seem to be reasonable.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
If the entire window frame is missing then your only hope is a custom RV window manufacturer like ALL-RITE

"

All-Rite builds AFTERMARKET RV parts. We are unable to cross-reference by year, make, model, part # or VIN #. All products are built by ROUGH HOLE sizes. The rough hole is the hole left in the coach after the original part (door, window, etc) has been removed. Measurements are taken from wood to wood for both height and width.

All-Rite Custom Manufacturing has a wide range of RV windows for sale. We custom-design insulated windows with removable fiberglass screens, and picture windows in single or dual panes. Our catalog also includes slider windows built to fit your rough hole size (including T-slider, vertical, and horizontal) and torque windows with single or dual openers.

In addition to manufacturing high-quality RV windows, All-Rite also specializes in creating custom replacement window screens. Our screens are made to order, and they work with any of All-Riteโ€™s windows as well as a variety of other brands."

They do also carry a variety of window styles and sizes, you can check their catalog.

They can take your dimensions and make a window to your opening size.

But, you might need to be sitting down before getting prices as they were not cheap before all the supply issues we have now.. And their website right now is indicating production of the awning style you have has been temporarily suspended so you may need to consider replacing with a different style of window if you want to close up the hole.

On edit..

In Elkart Indiana which is where a lot of the RV manufacturers are based out of is a variety of places that buy up surplus RV inventory when manufacturers change models. Most of these places are not on the Internet and you will need to go there and search their warehouses. A friend of mine often takes camping trips out there to find "upgrades" on the cheap. I did order some stuff from one that did have an Internet presence but they are no longer in business.

HERE is a Yellow pages search for Elkhart Ind..

azbohunter
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I didn't explain my scenario well, the frame itself and the glass are gone, I have contacted Pellant and that is a no. I even asked if I could purchase the entire 8701 window, again no. I have contacted 3 salvage places and no one has the window. I am thinking I might remove the entire window and see if I or a glass/window shop can't come up with something that can be make to fit inside the frame of 8701. Cardboard and Gorilla tape ain't to pretty ;(
Pullrite Hitch
2006 Polaris Ranger

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Gdetrailer wrote:
If the glass was broken you can lookup some home and business glass shops, they will check the glass color, measure and cut and send the glass out for tempering. Once they get it back can install the glass in the frame for you.

Probably your best bet as this is an area where the manufacturers are all over the place and I don't believe there is any standardization.

But a glass shop should be able to cut and fit what you need.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hehr doesn't sell directly to public which is why you got the cold shoulder.

There are other places that they do sell to like THIS one (never tried it).

If the glass was broken you can lookup some home and business glass shops, they will check the glass color, measure and cut and send the glass out for tempering. Once they get it back can install the glass in the frame for you.

As far as the "operator" and torque tube parts goes, typically you can find generic aftermarket replacement parts at your local RV dealer parts departments which with a little adjustment may fit and work for you.

I did find a Hehr replacement parts website HERE (once again, I have not tried them) they list operator, torque tube, linkages parts.