cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing / installing outdoor RV shower

401nailhead
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for advice or observations on this upcoming replacement. I already purchased the new unit online so maybe I did that too fast, but I can still learn anything on the installation before I attempt it. Class B, and this is our only shower, so I'd like to make sure it is operable. 20 year old rig, this is the common shower type that stows behind a 8" x 13" locking door. With two knobs, a flexible hose, and the plastic shower head. Old hose was kinked, and water flow was poor. I plan to use plumber's tape on the threads; any other advice? Should I caulk around the door frame once installed? Anything else?
6 REPLIES 6

401nailhead
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks D.E.Bishop, I had not taken them apart yet, but saw a little leakage, so I was assuming it was best to use some plumbers tape. Maybe loosened up a bit, or dried rubber.

I should explain, we are in a week-long cold and rain spell, so I have not pressed to get in there and start taking it apart. I'm waiting for the weather to dry out/warm up, will probably get a little chance Saturday.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure why you would wrap either of the hose fittings. That is a great way to get leaks. I have replace a few in my lifetime and never used any tape on the fittings. The supply line hoses and the hand held shower hose all have o-rings, rubber washers or rubber cones on the lines, those are how the fittings are sealed against leaks.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

401nailhead
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. Yes, I probably only need the hose, and maybe some re-wrapped connections. I decided to go with a replacement in-kind for a reasonable price, to lessen the chance of other leaks, but I agree with the other post, the options were mostly pretty low quality. I'll probably learn from this experience, and I have a lot of RV learning to do! I'm absorbing all that I can, I have a lot of travel and good times ahead of me.

kevden
Explorer
Explorer
Our previous camper had one like the op described. I replaced the entire valve and hose and removed the door and frame to re-seal the door frame with butyl tape. Also caulked where the inner panel and frame overlapped. Our current camper did not come with an outdoor shower, but I recently rigged up one using a couple of fittings on the low point drain to connect a garden hose. I put a sprayer on the end of the hose that has multiple patterns to choose. Worked great on our recent dry camping stay. I bought one of these shower tents several years ago.http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KAFFSNO/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1462411846&sr=8-2π=SY200_QL40&keywords=s... the two room design is nice and roomy. I cut a hole in the side of it at the hieght of the rv shower valve and hose. That camper is gone, but now I use the hole for the garden hose.
2012 Keystone Outback 312bh

2003 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4X4 Quadrasteer

2010 VW Routan
2007 Chrysler Pacifica AWD

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Post a picture?
All the original RV outdoor showers I have seen are piece of junk.
I found on ebay all metal valve with detachable hose. I made pictorial about it in trailer section.

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like all you need to do is replace the hose. It is threaded on each end and hand tight.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.