cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

resealing gasket on windshield

tenspeedret360
Explorer
Explorer
Good day, everybody, hope everyone is sharing the beautiful weather we're having here right now.
I have an '06 Monaco DP, and I have to reseal the gasket around the windshield. I purchased tubes of GE premium silicone gasket and seal, it says on the label good for rubber, glass, and metal. Before I get started, I seem to recall reading somewhere not to use silicone for this project. I hope Im wrong, but just wanted to touch base with better minds than my own to check.

Thank you all to the responses I get, this is a great place for answers, Thanks again.

Kevin
Kevin
FMCA #F383349
2006 Monaco LaPalma
2015 Hyundai Elantra
8 REPLIES 8

tenspeedret360
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the responses. I brought it to work at my bus garage and they took care of it....knew I had heard bad things as far as silicone on the windshield, glad I asked. Thank you all.
Safe travels!
Kevin
Kevin
FMCA #F383349
2006 Monaco LaPalma
2015 Hyundai Elantra

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
I concur with those saying go to a glass shop.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Depends where it is leaking. If it is between the glass and the rubber seal some kind of "goop" will reseal it. I would have it done at a glass shop.

If it is between the rubber seal and the steel of vehicle, you have a much bigger problem ! The only way to fix that is to remove the windshield, repair/repaint the now rusty metal, reinstall the windshield with a new seal. The likelihood is you will be buying a new windshield because 1) they won't guarantee it won't crack coming out and 2) it is almost impossible to purchase just the seal.

Might be time for a new set of wheels !

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
riggsp wrote:
Best to go to an automotive glass shop and let them seal it...

X2. They may have to remove the windshield to reseal it properly.

riggsp
Explorer
Explorer
Best to go to an automotive glass shop and let them seal it...if you use silicone one time, and it doesnโ€™t seal, youโ€™re out of luck trying to get anything else to work.

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
Once you use silicone, there is no sealant that will stick to it in the future.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Tech Issues forum from DIY.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
There is a black rubber like substance used by windshield replacement dealers that would be a better choice. Not sure what it is called; you could do a Google search.