cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Resealing windows?

Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2019 KZ and from what I have read on the internet it may have "dry fit" windows and the seals are leaking on a couple of them.

I ordered some butyl tape that is 1/8" thick. The TT has corrugated siding and the gap between the window frame and low part of the siding is just over 1/4". Do I need to triple layer the tape? Can I double layer the frame and add small sections in the low spots of the siding for the 3rd layer?
4 REPLIES 4

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I have a corrugated trailer and I have always just doubled up the butyl tape.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
I have been eyeing the 3M 3/8 round butyl for this situation. But yes 2 layers small bits, slowly but surly tighten is best.

MT_BOB
Explorer
Explorer
Butyl tape comes in thicknesses up to 1cm.Also,they sell butyl caulk,that can be used, in some cases.

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
415 wrote:
We have a 2019 KZ and from what I have read on the internet it may have "dry fit" windows and the seals are leaking on a couple of them.

I ordered some butyl tape that is 1/8" thick. The TT has corrugated siding and the gap between the window frame and low part of the siding is just over 1/4". Do I need to triple layer the tape? Can I double layer the frame and add small sections in the low spots of the siding for the 3rd layer?

Yes that what I had to do for mine. Place the single layer all the way around onto the window frame itself and add appropriate sized small pieces to fill out the recessed areas on the trailer. When the butyl is warm, you can cut pieces lengthwise and roll them between your palms to make fat "worms" to fill in any gaps. Don't go gorilla tightening the screws, a little bit every day, some will ooze out you can slice off with a dull knife, gently. A good idea is to add a couple thin shims under the window frame from the inside opening to keep things square in the opening and it prevents the whole window from slowly sliding down.