cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Reverse Polarity code When Plugging in at Home

Lakejumper
Explorer
Explorer
In the past I have plugged my RV in directly to my 30 receptacle in the garage, without any issues. Today a friend who is visiting plugged into my 30 amp plug, but placed a surge protector in the middle of the power cords and got a Reverse Polarity error code. Why is this happening?
Lakejumper

2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
2012 Chevy Equinox
23 REPLIES 23

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
More common is connecting 240 volts and the fun starts immediately.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like a good outcome!

Reverse polarity on an outlet won't harm electronics because it doesn't change the sort of power the device "sees"; it's no different than plugging in an (unpolarized) plug flipped the other way over. Reverse polarity is problematic from a safety standpoint mainly because the hot line is the only one switched by a circuit breaker, so a tripped or shut off breaker doesn't cut off the power if the two are reversed. The normal current path is still broken, of course, so it still protects against a normal overload, but a short circuit to ground would not trip the circuit breaker where the polarity is reversed. If the fault current is sufficient, it would trip the circuit breaker in the house's electric panel where the polarity is correct.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
It could be worse.. When they put in central air at my old sticks and bricks

The kid hooked the black wire to the green screw. (Hot to ground)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Lakejumper
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I got home and plugged my EMS directly into the wall plug to test it and got the Reverse Polarity code as expected. I turned off the circuit breaker, removed the plug receptacle and reversed the wires. Voila! It works properly. This puppy has had reverse polarity since it was installed by a reputable electrical company! Iโ€™m glad that I hadnโ€™t damaged any electronics in the RV. Thanks again for all of your help with, tool suggestions, pictures, etc. It made it easy for me to tackle this myself. Not bad for a somewhat mechanically inclined 66 year old woman! Most of you assumed that I was a man but at the end of the day, it doesnโ€™t make any difference as we are all very capable of many things!??
Lakejumper

2012 Chevy Equinox

Lakejumper
Explorer
Explorer
Ken56, I believe that youโ€™re correct. It was rushed at almost 2:00am as they were evacuated due to a fast moving fire. We were all pretty exhausted. But, that is exactly what I will do when I get back home as we all left the house yesterday. Thank you.
Lakejumper

2012 Chevy Equinox

Lakejumper
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m sure that the wall plug is the problem as we used two different surge protectors. BTW, they are portable.Thank you everyone for your assistance.
Lakejumper

2012 Chevy Equinox

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Bobbo wrote:
Before I switched the wires, I would want to confirm that it is, indeed, the outlet that is mis-wired. Hence my recommendation for the no contact voltage tester. If he re-wires the outlet, but it was actually the EMS that was wired backwards, he has not helped himself.
Since the EMS appears to be portable I assume the premade connectors are wired correct.
If EMS was hardwired version done by the RV owner I would have more concern.
Either way the pictures show the correct wire placement.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Wait a minute, Why did he place the EMS in the middle between 2 cords? Why not put it on the outlet and that would tell if the outlet is miswired wouldn't it?? Obviously he has said he had to evacuate so the friend is not currently there. The situation should be corrected though.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
You can verify or just fix it.

Turn off power at the breaker, remove the connector, reverse the Hot and Neutral, replace connector, restore power.

http://www.myrv.us/electric/Pg/30amp_Service.htm

Before I switched the wires, I would want to confirm that it is, indeed, the outlet that is mis-wired. Hence my recommendation for the no contact voltage tester. If he re-wires the outlet, but it was actually the EMS that was wired backwards, he has not helped himself.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dave H M wrote:
Bpbbo, If you hare some elcheapo HF volt ohm meters laying around already, won't they suffice for the testing?

The no contact tester will tell him immediately which wire is the hot wire. Using an el cheapo VM he will have to test each wire pair to determine which wire is hot. Just faster and easier. And safer since it is no contact and he can't shock himself. But, to answer your question, yes the el cheapo VM will give him that information, if he knows how to use it.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Lakejumper
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you to all for your responses. You have given me the info and tools to test and fix this myself. We had to evacuate this morning due to fires in Santa Rosa, CA. I will fix it when I return.
Lakejumper

2012 Chevy Equinox

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
You can verify or just fix it.

Turn off power at the breaker, remove the connector, reverse the Hot and Neutral, replace connector, restore power.

http://www.myrv.us/electric/Pg/30amp_Service.htm

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Whomever wired his EMS did it bass-ackwards. Anything reconnectable on the incoming shore power from plug to his breaker panel is reconnectable. But it is commonly it's in the umbilical cord.

you say he placed an EMS in the middle of the power cords. I'm guessing 1 shore power cord and 1 extension? That would mean that either the receptacle or the front power cord is wired wrong.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
duplicate