cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rodent control attempt

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I live next to a 1/2 mile square wooded field, and mice/rats have always been a problem in the yard and shed. However, our terrier mix loves them.

Yesterday, I noticed the dog crawling under the RV. She has never done that before. I looked under the RV and saw her trying to crawl into the engine compartment. I opened the hood and looked in there. There are leaves piled in there where no leaves could possibly blow. Uh oh. I raked out all the leaves I could and, leaving the hood open, put a drop cord with a 40 watt light bulb shining back there all night.

Today, I bought an 1156 socket and attached it to the end of a 3 foot long wooden dowel, so I can actually push it back into the compartment. I wired it through a 3 amp fuse to a pair of clamps so I can attach it to the battery terminals. I now have the hood open so the area is open rather than enclosed, and permanently lit. I hope that will discourage the little boogers.

I have the RV permanently plugged in and have a Trik-L-Start charging the battery the lamp is hooked to. I should have no problems with killing the battery.

I will post back if the dog loses interest in the underside of the RV.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB
19 REPLIES 19

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
It looks like JaxDad was probably right about the vermin being a squirrel. I just, umm, "excised" a young squirrel in my back yard that looks like it had taken up residence in the area. I suspect it tried under my hood, then moved elsewhere when I disrupted its comfort zone. It is no longer a possible nuisance. (And yes, it is squirrel season here, and I do have a hunting license.)
Bobbo and Lin

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I haven't started the rig yet. I know about damage to wiring. When we bought our S&B house 5 years ago, squirrels had nested in the attic for YEARS. I had to replace a lot of the wiring in the attic because it was gnawed bare. I tried everything to eliminate them for 2 years, then bought a pellet gun. Now, if I see 1 squirrel a month, it is a busy month. That doesn't mean it couldn't have been a squirrel though. The engine was definitely full of leaves and sweetgum balls.

Apparently, the open hood and light have done the trick. There is no additional detritus in the engine, and the dog has lost interest in the RV.
Bobbo and Lin

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Have you started up your rig? You may have wires which are now chewed on and will short out.

For me, I would start it up and drive it around some every day or so. Maybe park in a different location on the property when you get back. Critters like things that don't move around.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
nm1oqrz wrote:
When I put my riding mower away for the winter I put 2 bars of Irish Spring soap under the hood and on top of motor, as I heard that it will keep mice away. Spring time came and while getting the mower ready I checked the Irish Spring and of the 2 bars 1 was completly gone, execpt the wrapper, and the other was about 1/4 gone, so I thing that I fed them instead of chase them off.
Happy camping nm1oqrz

Or you had the cleanest mice in the county.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dog Folks wrote:
Bobbo wrote:
OP here, I live in Memphis, TN. The RV is under a carport so rain/snow is not an issue. The Trik-L-Start is 5 amps, and I put an 1141 bulb in the socket so it draws a little less current. I may look for an LED to replace the 1141 though.

That geographic area has only three general types of rodents:

Norway Rat
Roof Rat
House Mouse

NO pack Rats.

Lights will do no good, other than make you feel better.

Rats won't make nests out of leaves, the only thing that will carry leaves to a nesting site is a squirrel.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I have no idea about the configuration under your hood. If it were me I would definitely check the air cleaner. I been there.

nm1oqrz
Explorer
Explorer
When I put my riding mower away for the winter I put 2 bars of Irish Spring soap under the hood and on top of motor, as I heard that it will keep mice away. Spring time came and while getting the mower ready I checked the Irish Spring and of the 2 bars 1 was completly gone, execpt the wrapper, and the other was about 1/4 gone, so I thing that I fed them instead of chase them off.
Happy camping nm1oqrz

09FLSTC
Explorer
Explorer
Double post delete.

09FLSTC
Explorer
Explorer
I too am curios why the light/heat source. I'd freeze them out long before I'd try and make them comfortable. We use two cats and never let them get comfortable. Keep them as feral as possible.

Cool_Canuck
Explorer
Explorer
Victor Rat Trap. End of problem with rodent chewing on truck wires.
'05 Day Dreamer by Cedar Creek
2011 F250 PSD CC

You can lead a horse to water.
You cannot make it drink.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
OP here, I live in Memphis, TN. The RV is under a carport so rain/snow is not an issue. The Trik-L-Start is 5 amps, and I put an 1141 bulb in the socket so it draws a little less current. I may look for an LED to replace the 1141 though.

That geographic area has only three general types of rodents:

Norway Rat
Roof Rat
House Mouse

NO pack Rats.

Lights will do no good, other than make you feel better.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
I have 4 traps set in the engine compartment and I leave the hood open 1/4 way all the time. Yes, I do trap one every so often but so far no evidence of nesting activity. BTW we are on 5 acres of prime mouse habitat.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bobbo and Lin

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
tvman44 wrote:
I have read that a bright white LED light discourages them, worth a try. Would draw less current and put out a lot less heat. ๐Ÿ™‚

It will discourage pack rats only.

The OP does not disclose where he lives so species is hard to tell. Pack rats are mostly found in the western states.

Most other rats and mice live with man and are not bothered by lights at all.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006