cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roll up solar panels for portability?

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
At a faire I frequent, one person had three 20 foot long roll-up solar panels, similar to this.

I wonder if anyone has any recommendations for panels that are more durable, and designed for more setup and takedown cycles? This would be useful for boondocking.
7 REPLIES 7

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
I always thought the rolls would make a good portable as long as rolling and unrolling wouldn't hurt them.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

doughere
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi

Unisolar panels are not really designed to be portable in the sense of unrolling and rerolling repeatedly. They were intended for use on a metal roof.

I love my US-64 Unisolar panels because of the blocking diodes between each and every cell. I get great low light results.

I think this is the use these panels were designed for. If you were to get this panel, you'd be looking to roll out a 18 foot panel.

Regards,
Doug

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi

Unisolar panels are not really designed to be portable in the sense of unrolling and rerolling repeatedly. They were intended for use on a metal roof.

I love my US-64 Unisolar panels because of the blocking diodes between each and every cell. I get great low light results.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
OP asked about portable.

It rolls up compact, but I'm not sure how well it will take repeated rolling-unrolling. Without some sort of rigid backing you would have to lay it down on the ground, this doesn't sound good.

I read that amorphous panels work more efficiently than crystalline panels in low-light conditions - more amps per nominal wattage. But in full sun 130W is still 130W.

With 24V panel you will need MPPT, and the cheapest half-decent one is ~$150.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
agesilaus wrote:
Amorphous panels are always less efficient. But the no drill installation is very tempting. And less efficient does not always mean not efficient enough for your purpose.
For reference the linked panel cost $1.78/W and uses 23.3 sq ft.

2 80W panels on Solar Blvd cost $1.00/W and uses 12.3 sq ft but they don't roll up. S&H should be considered.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
CA Traveler wrote:
Generally those panels are more $ with less output. Most just use the standard solid 12V panels.

Amorphous panels are always less efficient. But the no drill installation is very tempting. And less efficient does not always mean not efficient enough for your purpose.

Several people in the comments and answers to questions report having them on their RV. My major concern would be that the adhesive is not strong enough to withstand 60 mph winds generated running down the road. But I didn't see any complaints.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Generally those panels are more $ with less output. Most just use the standard solid 12V panels.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob