cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roof AC Died

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Started packing up for a week at the lake. Heard fridge working on propane and I knew we were plugged into power. Checked and appears the 30 amp outlet was dead, but we were going away for a week and would address when returned. (Upon return electrician who installed it found loose wire so that part was rectified.)

However, while at the lake, 5 out of 6 days were great but the evening before we were to leave, noticed the AC was not working which is bad in 90 degree weather. Was not going to spend the night there with no AC so packed it up and drove home. Good that it was only 20 miles.

When I slide the thermostat controls between fan, low cool, high cool I hear relays clicking in the AC unit but nothing happens. Have appointment to have checked out but it is a couple of weeks out. Good thing we have no plans to go anywhere soon.

Not one of the items I was hoping to have fail as we are in the early process of finding a replacement MH.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT
10 REPLIES 10

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, Got the report from Camping World. As expected, dead. Whatever caused the thing to fail resulted in some really hot temps and fried wiring harnesses and other parts. Have to replace outside unit and inside components. Expected Yes, like it no. Especially as we're looking to sell/trade it this winter.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'll report back once it's diagnosed. Thanks for all the input.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
^^^What gat said!!!^^^ Your compressor MAY be bad but check Capacitor first. Lest you think my reply is redundant, please understand that there will ALWAYS be a RUN Capacitor serving the compressor. There may/may not be a Starting Capacitor (aka Start Kit, Hard Start Kit...) but it won't start or run if the RUN cap is bad. With POWER OFF, do a visual inspection. Should be a Compessor (might be marked "HERM" for Hermetically Sealed) Run Cap and a Fan Run Cap. Maybe in one "can" or two separate ones, usually aluminum. See if they appear bloated like a canned soda that froze. There's also a little relief port on top by the terminals. Look and see if something has oozed out. Better of course is to get a replacement cap or a meter that reads Capacitance (uF or MFD on the meter spec and switch).

Compressor Run Cap will be around 45 MFD. Fan Run Cap will be around 7 MFD. If there IS a Start Cap it'll be around 100 MFD, probably plastic, and connected across the Compressor Start Cap.

Can you look it over and get back with us?
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

gat75
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a faulty starting capacitor on compressor.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
midnightsadie wrote:
is there a battery in the stat?

Nope. Fuse yes, but is good. T-stat appears to be communicating with unit as evidenced by the clicking at the unit when I toggle the t-stat switches.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ranger Smith wrote:
Physically move the breaker. Ive had them tripped and they look like they are on

Did that. No help. But thanks for the post.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
is there a battery in the stat?

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
Physically move the breaker. Ive had them tripped and they look like they are on
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not a dumb question, but yes I did.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
If nothing is happening, odds are it's a power problem. Dumb question, but you did check the breaker ?
-- Chris Bryant