cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ROOF RACK WHISTLES

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
I have a square tube set of THULE roof bars purchased in 2001. I recently mounted them on our 2018 Ford Explorer using different mounts. For whateverreason the cross bars whistle above 40 MPH. They did not make noise on previous vehicles. I notice newer cross bars are oval shaped. Any thoughts on how to deflect the wind and eliminate this minor annoyance? I just turn up the radio. My wife is not a fan of that. LOL Go figure. Anyone else had and eliminated this problem? I thought about pool noodles over bars but my wife frowns on that.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)
8 REPLIES 8

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
How about some vortex generators like Air Tabs on the roof in front of the roof rack.

I have seen on the TC sub forum that they have used them under the front overhang and also the jacks on the side of the TC it eliminated the whistling they create.

I have them on the rear of my RV and in discussions with others that have them they comment on the noise and whistling reduction.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you can move it forward or backwards on the vehicle it can help.
Great idea on the ropes around it.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you one and all I will try the cheaper suggestions first. Much apreciated
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Oasisbob wrote:
I have a square tube set of THULE roof bars purchased in 2001. I recently mounted them on our 2018 Ford Explorer using different mounts. For whateverreason the cross bars whistle above 40 MPH. They did not make noise on previous vehicles. I notice newer cross bars are oval shaped. Any thoughts on how to deflect the wind and eliminate this minor annoyance? I just turn up the radio. My wife is not a fan of that. LOL Go figure. Anyone else had and eliminated this problem? I thought about pool noodles over bars but my wife frowns on that.

Thule AirScreen

https://www.thule.com/en-us/roof-rack/roof-racks-and-accessories/thule-airscreen-xt-s-_-870200
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
Any particular tune it whistles?..:W....Dennis
It's a truck, it probably is off-key most of the time anyway! Unless he's had it tuned... ๐Ÿ˜„
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Any particular tune it whistles?..:W....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
Almost the same as Bobbo, but used 1/4" bungie cord from sports/outdoor store. Tight on racks, easy to do!! Most vehicles with an external radio antenna have a corkscrew shape to the antenna shaft to disrupt air flow and lower or eliminate noise. Made a big difference on our square bars!!!

'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wrapped mine with 1/4" poly rope. Worked like a champ. What you are wanting to do is disrupt the smooth air flow over the bars. A pool noodle is smooth, the poly rope wrapped around the bars is an uneven surface. I even found black rope to match the black bars so it is less noticeable.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB