cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roof Top repairs.

7_3_psdman
Explorer
Explorer
I hadn't been on the roof in years so when I went up there I found that the skylight above the shower was brittle and cracked and so were the covers above the roof vent fans. So I opened up one of the covers and found that crank open lid on the fan itself was deteriorating. So I ordered a new skylight but I want to know if I have to replace the whole fan to get another crank open lid or can those lids be replaced on the fan unit? Do some of these fans kits hold up to age and weather better than others. Replacing the whole fan and the rainproof covers could get into some serious bucks because I have three of them. Thanks!
10 REPLIES 10

7_3_psdman
Explorer
Explorer
I found cracks in the skylight and in the ceiling fan covers and lids and then while I was up there I noticed that the attic vent cover was broken and so I replaced the attic vent too. Then a friend asked me how my boat was holding up and I told him that I noticed some delamination of the plastic on the 12 gallon fuel tank. When I showed him he noticed that it had a hole clear through on one corner. So I ordered a new fuel tank just a different brand. I am learning that if you don't want plastic to break down under UV rays then it has to be covered.

DReisinger
Explorer
Explorer
When I had our roof Flex Armor coated, sprayed over the skylight. It will preserve it and makes for better afternoon naps.

7_3_psdman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the help. I think that I can get the right parts now. The vent lid on the fantastic fan looks like it is ok so I just need 2 vent lids and 3 Maxxair covers plus the skylight cover that I ordered. You guys have been a ton of help.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is pretty easy to do your self first you to know the type you have then get what is needed.
Here are the types of vent lids,by the hinge type.

check yours then you will know which one to get.

I would suggest getting the Polycarbonate ones they last a lot longer. Also something like the Maxxair covers,they will make your covers last longer and you can keep your vents open in any weather.

If you haven't done it before Here is a short video on how it is done.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

MrWizard
RV 'Vent Lids' are what you want to look for
only the shower has a sky light, a big dome that doesn't open

those that open are 'Vents', take a good look at the hinge, take couple of pictures

check to see if all three are the same or different

vents all are a standard size that fit a 14" opening
but different mfg use different hinges

if the base is metal, just replace the vent lid

if the base is plastic, replace the whole thing

if the lid caps are brittle and cracking, so is the base
and you will end up with a water leak
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

7_3_psdman
Explorer
Explorer
3oaks wrote:
You can buy replacement lids. But you need to know the make of the fan and the type of hinge on the original lid.

Thanks! I will look for the parts then. I don't know if they call it a cover flap or what just yet but I have to go to a dealers for the stuff I need to install the skylight with anyway. I will try to find out more about the fan and see what I can order.

7_3_psdman
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
If you haven't 'been on the roof in years', I'd be taking a real hard look at your seams and sealants while up there. In fact, I'd do that first.

Yes! I recaulked the seams where they needed it but I didn't want this to sound like a long story. All four corners of the roof needed to be caulked and the whole front behind the trim that goes along behind where the cap meets the rest of the unit. That's when I decided to look for water damage inside and I found the shower skylight was cracked.

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
You can buy replacement lids. But you need to know the make of the fan and the type of hinge on the original lid.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Tech Issues forum from DIY.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you haven't 'been on the roof in years', I'd be taking a real hard look at your seams and sealants while up there. In fact, I'd do that first.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB