cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Running refrigerator with freezing temps

74vette
Explorer
Explorer
I will be leaving tomorrow for parts unknown heading south. This will be our first trip where we travel for 2 or three days in temps that will range from 15 to 45 degrees. I am not concerned about stopping overnight when the 5th wheel will be heated but traveling during the day with sub freezing temps. Can I run the frig on propane while traveling with these temps? I will have items in both the freezer and the frig. I am not sure the freezer will stay cool enough during the day of traveling. Any thoughts are appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
IF you turn them ON then they will only actually run when the fridge is above the temperature setting. If it's below that it will simply sit there in stand by mode until it needs cooling inside the fridge. Pretty much the SAME thing happens in summer time as if the fridge ran all the time it was "turned on" it would freeze everything in the fridge. There are no gradiations of "on" with an RV fridge (or any other type), they simply run a higher percentage of the time when they need more cooling.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

At -6 C (21 f) it would be good to restrict the air flow on the Fridge access hatch side panel. Additionally I use a light bulb on a TC-3 thermocube.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
we had some very cold days here for weeks on end. I had put a 12 pack of soda in our frig and when I remembered they were in there I found them to be frozen and several had exploded. lucky for me they still were in the frozen state so it was easy to clean up. So lesson learned for me is not to run the frig or have any thing in it that will freeze.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I have run both my previous TT and present MH fridge in temps as low as about 5 above zero with no problems. I always also run my furnace while traveling. I winterize below 10 above zero.

newman_fulltime
Explorer II
Explorer II
If in that cold you should be ok not running it