cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ryobi 900 Watt Propane Generator

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
I am interested in any experience with the Ryobi 900 watt propane generator. I generally run on solar only, but am looking at something to top off the batteries after a few cloudy days. Would probably only use it once or twice on a 6 month trip, so gasoline would be a PIA.

I dry camp for months at a time, and like the propane only as well as small size/weight of this generator. Listed as an inverter generator, but I can't find any sound pressure levels for loudness.

Thanks in advance...
63 REPLIES 63

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
they tell me that a Honda 1000 can only handle a 60 amp.
"They" would be correct if the statement were about an eu2000i. A non-pf-corrected 60 amp converter in boost mode is about 50 VA short of 1600, the eu2000i's max continuous rating. (The numbers will vary a bit based on efficiency and pf values).
2009 Fleetwood Icon

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
"The converter amps to generator watts are based on the recommendation of others for PRogressive Dynamics 9200 serie converters. they tell me that a Honda 1000 can only handle a 60 amp.. I know a Gernerac 1000 (True 1000 watts) can power a 9180 with charge wizard but I'm told a HONDA can not if the batteries are low. So since thi is a 900 peak (not 1000) I downgraded one converter from those. It might run a 60 but it would be running at maximum capacity."

Using your rocket science, you will note that for output of 45 amps at 14.6 volts (657w) you will need input of 9 amps x 120 volts (1080VA).

When you try to do that 1080 with a 900 peak gen, your rocket will be a damp squib.

"They" say that a Honda 1000 can "only" handle a 60 amper? They must have gone to the same rocket science school you did. A 55 amp converter with the usual 0.7 PF pulls 11 amps at 120 volts (1320VA)
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
BFL13 wrote:

Please read about VA and watts etc. 60 or 45? Get real! Or maybe just read my previous post and have a look at the PowerMax spec sheet. It is not rocket science. ๐Ÿ˜ž

I do know the difference between VA and WATT.
I also studied some rocket scientist
They were both on the same test.. I Passed.

The converter amps to generator watts are based on the recommendation of others for PRogressive Dynamics 9200 serie converters. they tell me that a Honda 1000 can only handle a 60 amp.. I know a Gernerac 1000 (True 1000 watts) can power a 9180 with charge wizard but I'm told a HONDA can not if the batteries are low. So since thi is a 900 peak (not 1000) I downgraded one converter from those. It might run a 60 but it would be running at maximum capacity.

But I do know the difference between Watts and VA and the difference between DC and AC.. IN a DC circuit Watts and VA are identical but in ac VA times power factor = watts and it is rare for power factor to be ONE (Only in a pure resitive circuit would it be one.. Light bulb (incandescent) or space heater or other heater for the most part or a fully compensated inductive/capacitive system which is very rare)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Yes for me would be just for a battery charger in bad conditions.
Will eventually test a 20 amp portable, 35a WFCO, 40a PF corrected Xantrex.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
May be folks like to zero-in on the weaker points for whatever reason.

LPG is a cleaner fuel. Clean enough to eliminate foul gas, storage. Oil stays clean, so do cylinder internals, valves and no muffler clogging.

Compromising means just that -- a trade off. Understand the specs, weigh the positives against the negative points. If there are too many negatives, move on...

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
pnichols wrote:

We have a motorhome RV with a built-in 4000 watt Onan generator, but still carry along a little 650 watt Honda suitcase generator.
I do exactly the same thing with a 800 VA generator.
2009 Fleetwood Icon

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wouldn't be too fast to claim that a little genny like that little Ryobi can't be very useful for drycamping in an RV.

We have a motorhome RV with a built-in 4000 watt Onan generator, but still carry along a little 650 watt Honda suitcase generator. One at a time - the little Honda will power such things as our RV's 45 amp converter, a hair dryer on it's low setting, an electric heater on it's low setting, and our little RV vacuum cleaner. It starts right up after sitting for months with gasoline in it, and will run 5-6 hours on 1/2 gallon of gas. It does all this at a full power noise level of 54 dB(A).

IMHO, small low-noise gas-sipping generators can be very useful for camping in tents or RVs ... even as a relatively quiet backup to solar when there's little or no sun.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like the little gas inverter is on sale again:

Sportsman Inverter

I really like mine, but I don't overload or abuse it either.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
The only question I have is how much does it eat (propane) it says run time at 25% load (175 watts) 3 hours.. That is not enough for a full charge on batteris that are at 50%. and also you can not use well you MIGHT be able to run a 60 amp converter (I'd limit to 45) Which will increase your time needed to recharge.

I do notice it shows both a "Throw away" and a 25 pound bottle. so is it 3 hours per throw away or per 25 pounder???? bid difference.

Still for 250.. Worth a look,

Please read about VA and watts etc. 60 or 45? Get real! Or maybe just read my previous post and have a look at the PowerMax spec sheet. It is not rocket science. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Photo in Profile

MrWizard
It's 3 hours st 25%
With the throw away, 60 hours at 25% with the 20# cylinder
Not enough power for my needs
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The only question I have is how much does it eat (propane) it says run time at 25% load (175 watts) 3 hours.. That is not enough for a full charge on batteris that are at 50%. and also you can not use well you MIGHT be able to run a 60 amp converter (I'd limit to 45) Which will increase your time needed to recharge.

I do notice it shows both a "Throw away" and a 25 pound bottle. so is it 3 hours per throw away or per 25 pounder???? bid difference.

Still for 250.. Worth a look,
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't have other brands of small charger numbers, but here is what I got for my 35 amp Vector 1092A running from a Honda EU3000is with a Kill-A-Watt to measure:

Output 33.2aDC--125.9v, 6.89a, 568w, 868VA, PF 0.65
Output 18.5aDC--126.5v, 4.04a, 315w, 511VA, PF 0.61

So for the small gen in question, it is highly likely a 35 amp converter would overload it unless the converter were kept at the 13.6v level somehow.

As a desperation recharge when not enough solar, doing any good would depend on the scenario. The batteries would no doubt be quite low, so would accept the max amps of a small amp size charger. You usually cannot control the charger's voltage.

I think Mr Wiz is correct, that you should use the OP gen with say a 20 amp portable charger that will do into the 14v plus range for best charging (13.6ish is too low) and not with your RV converter.

BTW, PowerMax has revised its spec sheet for input requirements for its various sizes of converter, so they are more realistic. PD is still misleading everyone with theirs by failing to note PF etc.

https://powermaxconverters.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/PM3-Spec-Sheet.pdf

Note the 8 amps at 120v required for the 35 amper.

Even if you choose another brand, you can still get a fairly close idea what your gen will have to supply to run whatever amp size converter/charger you are looking at, from that spec sheet.
Photo in Profile

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

steved28
Explorer
Explorer
My $.02 , I have owned a Honda 1000 since 2004. I love the little thing, but as the years passed, I always regretted not getting the 2000W model. There are quite a few things you can run with 2000 watts that you cannot with 1000 watts. But I only initially purchased it for battery charging also. The thing is, every once in a while you want to run something that you cannot. And I would have to fire up the 4kw noisy on board genny. BTW, plugging directly into the RV was almost always cause for an immediate trip to the Honda. This was on a Coachman 32ft Freelander class C, as well as a Gulfstream 25ft class C.
2019 Winnebago Sunstar LX 35F
2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sahara