cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Safety Gas Cans

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Saw this video on another site. Shows how to modify plastic fuel containers to be user friendly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lcnwdIYEfI
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL
33 REPLIES 33

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
I ordered one of them EZ pour kits last night. Can't wait to see if it will fit the threads.

New nozzle went on like a glove and all the stuff that used to be a nozzle went into the trash.

The vent popped right into the 1/2 inch hole I drilled.

I am in tall cotton now and not picking any nits. :B

jwmII
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
jwmII wrote:
After drilling the vent hole for the tire stem he did not check for and remove any plastic cuttings that could have gone into the can. Why introduce them into your fuel system if you don't have to. Regarding the gas attacking the rubber tire stem. They are cheap and obviously easy to change. I don't see that as a problem when you compare the kind of problem 5 gallons of gas could be.

The issue is not changing the tire valve....it's that the fumes degrade the part of the rubber valve on the inside of the tank, so when you go to unscrew the vent cap, the stem splits in half along the groove that locks onto the can, allowing the inside half to fall into the gas and further dissolve. Contaminating the gas just like you pointed out with the drill shavings.

So I imagine if an old piece of rubber falls in to the can it wouldn't be retrievable. More nitpicking.

This link was posted in the YouTube comments for the correct plastic vent caps made for gas cans.
jwmII

RobertL0
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately, those cans do not have the "extra" handle on the back end, as the plastic one does. Makes it VERY HARD TO HOLD the can as you pour...

mleekamp wrote:
I pitched all my plastic fuel containers. The ones they sell now are awful (as mentioned). I now use NATO jerry cans...easy to use, safe, and user friendly. These are NEW cans, not surplus. Link below.

Note: They are not cheap ($70 for a 5 gal) but I can use it for decades.

Scroll until you see "NATO JERRY CANS" on the left.

Lexington Container

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered the yellow plastic vent caps to try.
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Well the EPA sure fixed that problem well.~
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
jwmII wrote:
After drilling the vent hole for the tire stem he did not check for and remove any plastic cuttings that could have gone into the can. Why introduce them into your fuel system if you don't have to. Regarding the gas attacking the rubber tire stem. They are cheap and obviously easy to change. I don't see that as a problem when you compare the kind of problem 5 gallons of gas could be.

The issue is not changing the tire valve....it's that the fumes degrade the part of the rubber valve on the inside of the tank, so when you go to unscrew the vent cap, the stem splits in half along the groove that locks onto the can, allowing the inside half to fall into the gas and further dissolve. Contaminating the gas just like you pointed out with the drill shavings.

This link was posted in the YouTube comments for the correct plastic vent caps made for gas cans.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
When I drilled my diesel can, I had the shop vac in my other hand. The drilled plastic pretty much stayed in one piece and none fell in.
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Muddydogs
Explorer
Explorer
While the EZ pour kits are great for turning the new gas cans into something we can use, when pouring out of a 5 gallon can I much prefer the Super Siphon. You do need to get the gas can above the item to be filled which is generally not a problem, a couple shakes of the hose and the gas is flowing. I keep one siphon new in packaging in my trailer incase I ever need one for transferring water out of jugs, haven't used it yet but I got it.
2015 Eclipse Iconic Toy Hauler made by Eclipse Manufacturing which is a pile of junk. If you want to know more just ask and I'll tell you about cracked frames, loose tin, walls falling off, bad holding tanks and very poor customer service.

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
i went to No-Spill cans years ago and never looked back, and cheaper then the safety cans...

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered one of them EZ pour kits last night. Can't wait to see if it will fit the threads.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nit Picking is rampart in this thread

I did notice he failed to blow/vacuum out any plastic shavings.. That is the one truly valid concern in this thread and only one other commented on it.

Safety: THe plastic parts he removed are child safety.. With those parts removed little Johnny can remove the cap.. there are other ways to child proof.

The Rubber vlave stem I seriously doubt gasoline will dislove it in our lifetime

the locking pin on the nozzle.. I would have left that alone (the plastic pin he knows not the function of).

But then pushing the release button is so natural for me I might well not even ralise it is there.

True story.. I onc handed a man the keys to his car.. he was amazed.. he could not get them out of the ignition... It was a sitck shift and to turn the ignition to LOCK you had to press a release lever.. I pressed it automatically and was not even aware I had done it.

With out the locking pin Little Johnny and get gas to spill out of it.

The ones that bother me have the kind of nozzle whre you have to push it hard against the filler tube.. Those are a pain in the anatomy.

OH. and as for getting all the gasoline out.. VERY DANGEROUS

A gas can with gasoline in it WILL NOT EXPLODE,, Neither will a can which has never had gas in it.. But if you drain out every drop the vapor/air ratio inside the can can get into the ideal range and .. DYNAMITE has less explosiv power. THis is why it is designed to make it hard to get the very last cup out.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
LarryJM wrote:
Dog Folks wrote:

2. I personally would not trust the long term resistance to gasoline wetting the rubber tire stem.

Just my humble opinion. Don't claim to be an engineer.

O.K. I can see a potential issue with the rubber valve stem and another video had a link to the old style vents you could buy. Alternatively I guess I could do what I've had on my 10+ year old can that the vent cap retainer broke and I lost the cap. That is a wooden down with a point on it that I "JAM" into the hole with a string on it so I don't loose it.

You didn't originally say the "UNSAFE" comment was purely an opinion, but was presented as a statement of fact IMO and that's why I questioned it.

Larry

Sorry, I thought it was obvious, by the lack of engineering credentials in my post, it was an opinion. Guess not. Are not 99% of all posts here opinion?

My opinion was based upon the video, not how further modifications, posted later, would overcome the flaws shown therein.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I did that same mod a while back on 2 gas cans and it worked at least for a while and then the rubber valves got all eaten up. I since went to the nato jerry cans and couldn't be happier.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
SaltiDawg wrote:
Re "safety," is not the elephant in the room being ignored?

I refer to the dozen or more cans of gasoline in plastic cans in his garage/workshop.
It appears to be a survivalist program for the zombie apocalypse.
I would have a metal tank to store that much gasoline.