Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Samsung recall

tzclark
Explorer
Explorer
Hey folks

I recently bought a new to me 2004 terry fifth. We've used it a few times except last night I woke up to my microwave making a ding sound and it kept entering 6666, (when I look it said 666, and the hair on my neck stood up. Possessed microwave haha) So I did a search on the model number and it lead me to the site I always use when I am having an issue with a rv. When I called samsung the guy said that he needs a bill of sale for the microwave, I laughed and said i certainly don't have one but I have a bill of sale for the trailer, but it's not the original. He said he couldn't help me. Am I wrong to think that they are binded by law to repair? I kept my cool and told him I need to speak to a manager and he said one would call me. Shouldn't this be as simple
as me taking it to a service center and having them verify that the recalled micro is in fact installed and is in fact possessed?

I have never had good luck with samsung, I bought a nice stainless kitchen package for my home and the dishwasher is the biggest POS ever made and the fridges ice maker kicked the bucket after 3 years.
I'd rather be in a boat with a drink on the rocks, then in the drink with a boat on the rocks!
12 REPLIES 12

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think that you should attempt to fix a microwave unless you are an experienced technician. This is one appliance that needs to be fixed right. I know a few people who have replaced their micro in TT within 5 years. Let's face it they are not expensive to buy. Some dealers will be honest and say if you are replacing it just go to a big box store.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
You might be suprised what fits in there. While the safety recall might get the unit in the door, they arent going to repair a defective display for free (and likely dont have the parts anymore). So you still have a recall fixed MW with a dead display. The best option is to somehow convince them to cover a working, but recalled MW with a check in trade for a pic of the power cord cut as described above. Ive done that twice.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
tzclark wrote:
Ifd22, I'll give it a try. It's going in the trash or might repair myself. I don't believe I can buy any old big box store microwave. It looks to be a one piece unit that screws into the cavity?

Measure the old unit -- RV microwaves break all the time and owners replace with similar sized units purchased at "any old big box" store all the time. You may be able to reuse the mounting hardware.
Kevin

tzclark
Explorer
Explorer
Ifd22, I'll give it a try. It's going in the trash or might repair myself. I don't believe I can buy any old big box store microwave. It looks to be a one piece unit that screws into the cavity?
I'd rather be in a boat with a drink on the rocks, then in the drink with a boat on the rocks!

ifd22
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2002 Outback had a Samsung Microwave in it when we bought it in 2010. It didn't work after delivery from the dealer. I checked into it and found that it had a safety recall due to an issue with them turning on by themselves and starting fires. The Samsung Rep I talked to said that since the recall was so far out of date they would not be able to repair it. However if I E-mailed them a picture of the product tag and a separate picture of the electric cord cut from the microwave they would send me a check for $150. I did so and received a check in about a week.

Samsung NHTSA recall
2019 Primetime lite Crusader
2018 Ram 2500 Crewcab CTD
Andersen hitch

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with Chris - they will likely fix it - but it may take forever and you can buy a replacement microwave for not much money.
Kevin

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
If yours falls under the recall, they cannot refuse to repair it. Did you call the 800 number? You can also call they NHTSA. 800 number if Samsung doesn't come through.

The other folks need to realize that this is a safety recall by the Feds .
-- Chris Bryant

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
I'm missing the point too. No warranty on the Rv, right? It wasn't bought yesterday or last week right? It's 10 years old and stuff just breaks. If this is your 1st RV and you're already complaining about this failure of a 10 year old appliance you are gonna be in for a surprise. While not a boat, it runs a close 2nd in maintenance and repair. And that's just the way it is
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
MW warranty expired, trailer warranty expired. You can talk yourself to sleep, repeating that failed item after few times use in 10 years is not fair and that they should recall it, all to no avail. Go to big box store and get a new one. They don't recall unless there is a danger, for example a fire - and in many reported incidents.

Keep in mind that things do break when they are not being used. Corrosion, aging of el-cheapo electronics, or other reasons.

tzclark
Explorer
Explorer
I use the trailer 6 times a year max. I don't want to spend money on something that I don't need to. The micro falls into the recall that's at the top of the tech section here.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
I would not expect a company to repair a 10 year old MW at their expense, unless there is a recall. Never seen a warranty that long.

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ten year old microwave, lasted this long in an RV.
Go buy a new one.
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY