cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sealing the Awning

lil_camping_fam
Explorer
Explorer
I recently noticed when our awning is completely retracted, water is tending to drip through where the awning is sewed to that heavy plastic piece against the unit. The trailer is level in both directions as well.

What is out there to seal up the thread and the holes that were created by the needle when it was put together?

Thank you!
Salem Cruise Lite 195BH- 2004 F-150 4x4 with weight distribution, sway control, and brake control.

Heather, Robby, Kaiden & Mingo(k9)
6 REPLIES 6

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
When I bought my first rig the tech. said to seal the threads with VLP-bought at Camping World-to prevent them from rotting. Stoo looked good 6 years later. I believe VLP is the same as Goop. I rubbed the end of the tube of Goop against the bottom and top of the awing on current rig. Still looking good after almost 3 years.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
There is a product called Plastiseam- perfect for this application.
The small bottle comes with a sponge-dauber type applicator.
-- Chris Bryant

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
If it is a slight leak coming through the tread holes I would use a heavy duty silicone spray. Mine had pin holes where the PO scraped a tree limb and I used a latex spray to seal the pin holes.

Jim-Linda
Explorer II
Explorer II
The same folks that has the wood deck sealer(can't remember the name) has a spray can of waterproofing for awnings, Lowe's or HD.

Jim

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
You might try using the same material used to seal tent seams. I think Walmart has it.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

Moved from Forum Technical Support