Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

self driving sooner than we think!

pianotuna
Nomad III
Nomad III
Interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8PR5wKT9VA&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR0zI4Duqb5UVoemMm7-sLCUC803Rj...
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.
29 REPLIES 29

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
You will know the turning point has been reached when they start altering road construction and signage to accommodate autonomous vehicles. When they start embedding things in the roadway, or special stripes on the roadway, or special visual or RF beacons on the roadside, that serve no purpose but to help AI vehicles navigate the roads, then you will know that the turning point has come.

Today, everything you see on and around roadways is to enable human drivers. Soon, there will be things there to enable AI drivers.
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
It's already available on Tesla and other cars. It could be auto-pilot or driver assist. The auto-pilot can be totally driverless except for there is no regulations yet on the matter and car manufacturers are being cautious with the liability issues.

This is useful to us who drive long distance. And for me because I want to go sightseeing which is not possible when my full attention is into driving.

Actually no, there are no self driving cars.

There are people in the industry that think it's a short period of time, like a couple of years away. Me personally, I think it's over a decade or more away.

The Tesla is self driving. You just need to ignore the crashes and the actual disclaimer in the manual it is not. :B

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Teslas are not self driving.

As with a lot of new cars, some driving functions can be taken over by the car but self driving isn't available on any production car.

It will come eventually but it's more likely to continue to be an evolutionary process where the easiest functions are incorporated first with the driver there to handle the more difficult functions.
- Adaptive Cruise Control
- Lane Assist
- Curve Speed Limiter
- Traction Control
- Low Speed Self Parking

These are all functions that the car can do now.

I could see in 10yrs they reach the point where it becomes an honest question if they should skip the steering wheel...really, they could have a removable stalk now where you put a tablet and use that to control the car in a kind of limp mode if you really need direct control.

PS: As much fun as a sci-fi world with self driving cars sounds, it's a huge potential money saver. You can safely draft 10ft behind another car, crashes (and associated repair bills and injury bills) will drop like a rock. Lots of things we don't even know yet.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
midnightsadie wrote:
one of the top ten most stupid things they,ve come up with.
The idea might be for safer driving to reduce the 30,000+ deaths from vehicles every year in the US.
Worldwide almost 1.25 million die each year in a car wreck. And to think we are worried about a new virus....

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
A thousand dollars? Its easy to spend $200 at the grocery store

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
one of the top ten most stupid things they,ve come up with.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
It's already available on Tesla and other cars. It could be auto-pilot or driver assist. The auto-pilot can be totally driverless except for there is no regulations yet on the matter and car manufacturers are being cautious with the liability issues.

This is useful to us who drive long distance. And for me because I want to go sightseeing which is not possible when my full attention is into driving.

Actually no, there are no self driving cars.

There are people in the industry that think it's a short period of time, like a couple of years away. Me personally, I think it's over a decade or more away.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
The future like it or not.

I surely don't plan on living that long myself.
bumpy

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
I'm all for it. While I like to drive, I think the ability to be a passenger while my car - or even Motorhome take me to my destination, like a train, would be pretty enjoyable.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
The future like it or not.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
I’m working on a autum...atana...autatim...self driving towed...you’ll be able to program in your next boondocking spot, slap it on the ass, and it’ll meet you there...

And a self driving camper - same idea - so you can ride your motorsickle and not have to drive the lumbering rv rig ...

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
What's next, self drinking beer? Where does this madness end? :B

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Eventually they'll go to self-camping and I wont have to show up at all.