Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

self driving sooner than we think!

pianotuna
Nomad III
Nomad III
Interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8PR5wKT9VA&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR0zI4Duqb5UVoemMm7-sLCUC803Rj...
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.
29 REPLIES 29

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
I think you missed my point...they are in wide scale application now.

I got your point, I just think you're overstating "wide scale". I've never seen any AI assistance mechanisms built into the roadways, but of course I'm a human so maybe I just haven't noticed. I did some googling on the "Connected Vehilces V2I" and found lots of articles that talk about what it might look like in the future but nothing that indicated the current state of roll-out.

So, I don't think they are in "wide scale application now".
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
maillemaker wrote:
So self driving cars came out 5yrs ago?

I worked on a project 5yr ago that did just this in a midsize city.

Google "Connected Vehilces V2I"

We installed systems that duplicate traffic signals and signs electronically. The signal systems are now moving into wide scale implementation to accommodate cars that have the systems...

This is exactly what I'm talking about. When this becomes widespread, you'll know we've reached a turning point.

Pavement markings can already be detected by onboard cameras, so not a lot of need for those.

Until it snows.

Prediction: No matter how good self-driving cars get, they will never be perfect or infallible.

It won't take many accidents until the **** lawyers sue the manufacturers of self-driving cars into bankruptcy.

They don't have to be perfect or infallible - just statistically safer per mile than humans, which they already are.

You're right on the money angle, though. The nail in the coffin for human-driven vehicles will be when insurance companies start charging higher premiums for human-driven vehicles, and reduced premiums for self-driving ones. People will be priced out of human-driveable cars.

In fact one can easily wonder whether insurance will even be required for the owners of self-driving vehicles. If you are not driving, and you did not code the driving software, why would you be responsible at all in an accident? At that point, you are, literally, a passenger. It may very well come to pass that the manufacturers will be held liable for accidents.

And the estimate is that it will save 29,447 car accidents death a year.

Self-driving can save lives.

pianotuna
Nomad III
Nomad III
I foresee a pizza box satellite on all cars. LEO takes care of latency. Ground towers for tunnels.

Google maps has rarely let me down, except when the man behind the wheel (me) ignores it.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
The absolute first step in developing a self driving car will be a navigation system that actually works 100% of the time. Mine doesn't. Instead it makes all sorts of stupid mistakes. It periodically totally loses the signal. It thinks I am on a nearby alternate street. I have a speeding warning set on mine. With annoying frequency it thinks I have left the Interstate and am driving on a ramp so it gives me a speeding warning. It makes all sorts of mistakes with routing especially when there is road construction or some other temporary issue.

A nav system is just child's play when it comes to the needs of self driving cars. It is also simple to design a system to drive within well marked lanes. It is more complicated to avoid accidents due to road conditions. A simple piece of paper is enough to screw up the current systems. A blowing piece of paper or some leaves is enough to cause a self driving car to slam on the brakes. One of the first people killed by a self driving car was the woman in Phoenix who tried to cross the street. Because of the false alarms, avoidance response had been turned down.

Science fiction and speculation about the future can be great fun, but for now we are a long, long, long way from what is needed for reliable self driving.

I can also imagine the law suits for any mistake a self driving car makes. Certainly settlements will be well up into the tens and tens of millions of dollars.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
maillemaker wrote:

We installed systems that duplicate traffic signals and signs electronically. The signal systems are now moving into wide scale implementation to accommodate cars that have the systems...

This is exactly what I'm talking about. When this becomes widespread, you'll know we've reached a turning point.

I think you missed my point...they are in wide scale application now.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer

Pavement markings can already be detected by onboard cameras, so not a lot of need for those.

Until it snows.

Prediction: No matter how good self-driving cars get, they will never be perfect or infallible.

It won't take many accidents until the **** lawyers sue the manufacturers of self-driving cars into bankruptcy.

They don't have to be perfect or infallible - just statistically safer per mile than humans, which they already are.

You're right on the money angle, though. The nail in the coffin for human-driven vehicles will be when insurance companies start charging higher premiums for human-driven vehicles, and reduced premiums for self-driving ones. People will be priced out of human-driveable cars.

In fact one can easily wonder whether insurance will even be required for the owners of self-driving vehicles. If you are not driving, and you did not code the driving software, why would you be responsible at all in an accident? At that point, you are, literally, a passenger. It may very well come to pass that the manufacturers will be held liable for accidents.
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

markchengr
Explorer II
Explorer II
But they may well be closer to perfect than human drivers.

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
maillemaker wrote:
You will know the turning point has been reached when they start altering road construction and signage to accommodate autonomous vehicles. When they start embedding things in the roadway, or special stripes on the roadway, or special visual or RF beacons on the roadside, that serve no purpose but to help AI vehicles navigate the roads, then you will know that the turning point has come.

Today, everything you see on and around roadways is to enable human drivers. Soon, there will be things there to enable AI drivers.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

This is a young guy and must be faking it -- driving 17 hours and sleeping on the wheel.

17 Hours Self-Driving Tesla

Or, I must be delusional when my daughter summoned her Tesla X from parking lot to where she was standing infront of the theater.

What else don't you believe?
"What else don't you believe?"
Almost anything I see on YouTube.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Self funeral. Backhoe digs hole, rolls me in, fills hole then plays hymns

JesLookin
Explorer
Explorer
Since this video is from Jun 6, 2016, I don't see this new technology exactly being right around the corner.
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L CTD, Crew Cab

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
It's already available on Tesla and other cars. It could be auto-pilot or driver assist. The auto-pilot can be totally driverless except for there is no regulations yet on the matter and car manufacturers are being cautious with the liability issues.

This is useful to us who drive long distance. And for me because I want to go sightseeing which is not possible when my full attention is into driving.

Actually no, there are no self driving cars.

There are people in the industry that think it's a short period of time, like a couple of years away. Me personally, I think it's over a decade or more away.

This is a young guy and must be faking it -- driving 17 hours and sleeping on the wheel.

17 Hours Self-Driving Tesla

Or, I must be delusional when my daughter summoned her Tesla X from parking lot to where she was standing infront of the theater.

What else don't you believe?

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
maillemaker wrote:
You will know the turning point has been reached when they start altering road construction and signage to accommodate autonomous vehicles. When they start embedding things in the roadway, or special stripes on the roadway, or special visual or RF beacons on the roadside, that serve no purpose but to help AI vehicles navigate the roads, then you will know that the turning point has come.

Today, everything you see on and around roadways is to enable human drivers. Soon, there will be things there to enable AI drivers.

I think this is a big factor that remains unknown in all of this. Many adaptive/assist systems currently exist, but they are far from bulletproof, and many rely on systems that can become readily problematic in real world conditions. Five minutes on an icy, salt covered, road and my F150 spits out a warning that the pre-collision system can't operate. The sensors become covered in sludge and can't see anything.

I'm sure there can and will be solutions to all of this, but I think some of it is likely to boil down to infrastructure that is not yet in place. We will continue to move in that direction, but there are still some major hurdles to overcome.