Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shore power issues:(

REDRAT
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all
I have an issue with my power, and go figure, we are heading out on vaca next week. When plugged into shore power (battery disconnected) my power cuts out and turns back on constantly. I know the power shuts off completely b/c the LP detector chips each time. I hooked the battery up and the lights just flicker. I have been running a small dehumidifier for the past three weeks with no issue plugged into shore power and no battery. A buddy said the battery has to be hooked up for it to the converter, even when the shore power is connected. My question is did I kill my converter or is this maybe a grounding issue? I have a 2003 26' Fleetwood QS.
14 REPLIES 14

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
RobWNY wrote:
For what its worth, if your camper has a built in battery shut off, the Propane detector might be draining the battery. When we bought our new 5th wheel, we were told during the PDI that the Battery Shutoff, isn't a total shut off. The Propane detector still draws off the battery.

My new 2017 Airstream was like that. The propane detector and the inverter stayed connected even if the disconnect is activated. I moved the wire for the propane detector to the fuse box so it is now disconnected by the switch. I put a manual disconnect on the inverter because it draws significant power even when not "turned on."
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
For what its worth, if your camper has a built in battery shut off, the Propane detector might be draining the battery. When we bought our new 5th wheel, we were told during the PDI that the Battery Shutoff, isn't a total shut off. The Propane detector still draws off the battery.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
REDRAT wrote:
westend wrote:
On and off suggests a self-resetting DC breaker is at play. But shore power is on, so what DC load could be over-loading that breaker for amps?
A bad or totally depleted battery may draw more than what the circuit breaker can handle. Charge the battery disconnected from the RV with a manual charger, have it load tested. If it tests OK, connect it and try your shore power again.

The Battery is new, but it looses power when the battery is not hooked up. It only flickers when it is hooked up

Do you have a hand held meter to measure voltage?
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

fischer
Explorer
Explorer
Lights should work without battery the old converters needed a battery
2016 Winnebago 35B v10
2006 Jeep Liberty 4x4
Blue ox Tow Bar

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
The LP alarm will not chirp if there is no 12v at all. It chirps at first when the voltage gets too low, then won't do anything. So you are still getting a little 12v from somewhere, probably the batts.

With your multi-meter, what is the voltage at the battery posts when shore power is not plugged in?

With the batts disconnected, shore power on, what is the voltage at the DC panel lugs?
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
PowerMax MBA replacement $150

Progressive Dynamics MBA replacement $193

Call Randy to verify that one of these is compatible.
Do your battery and RV a favor and do not buy a WFCO replacement.

REDRAT
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
On and off suggests a self-resetting DC breaker is at play. But shore power is on, so what DC load could be over-loading that breaker for amps?
A bad or totally depleted battery may draw more than what the circuit breaker can handle. Charge the battery disconnected from the RV with a manual charger, have it load tested. If it tests OK, connect it and try your shore power again.

The Battery is new, but it looses power when the battery is not hooked up. It only flickers when it is hooked up

REDRAT
Explorer
Explorer
And thanks to you guys for the RAPID replies!!

REDRAT
Explorer
Explorer
Its a World Friendship Co Mod # WF-8945AN-11

westend
Explorer
Explorer
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Delete
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
No, the converter should supply a steady 12 volts without a battery.
Yes, the converter is probably shot.

May as well post the converter model number for best suggestions. And do you camp off-grid wanting a fast charge from the generator?

BTW what is the battery voltage as it sits disconnected?

REDRAT
Explorer
Explorer
On and off suggests a self-resetting DC breaker is at play. But shore power is on, so what DC load could be over-loading that breaker for amps?Nothing really, a few LED lights. I turned the breakers off for all the other big ticket items. Left the main 30 amp and the house 15 amp breakers on.

Is there an inverter in the mix? No the panel only says converter. Does the inverter draw too much DC 12v even though there is 120v from shore power?

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II

Is there an inverter in the mix? Does the inverter draw too much DC 12v even though there is 120v from shore power?
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.