cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shower caulk issue

Wandering_Storm
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a Fleetwood Storm brand new in 2015. I noticed the shower seams were not caulked and applied a bead of silicone caulk around the base. The normal flexing has dictated that I do it again. I have since read that caulking this seam is not a good idea as it is left open for ventilation and drying behind the panels. Should I re caulk. Or clean it out and leave it alone? Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks John McD
5 REPLIES 5

Wandering_Storm
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your help folks. The deal is sealed ( pun). No caulk in shower! McD

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
If the base has a flange that goes up behind the wall, I would not caulk the gap. I keep a spray bottle of bleach and bleach that crack once per week to keep the yuckies from growing.

rstanek
Explorer
Explorer
I had a leak issue around my shower door where it met the walls and base, I used 3m marine caulk, it's about 20.00 a tube and takes seven days to cure, that was nine years ago and still no leaks.....make sure you clean it well before caulking......
2007 Eagle 322FKS
2015 Chev Silverado 6.0 4:10

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
NO CAULK
If it is like mine (and most I believe) the bottom seam is an overlap that fits over the tub flange. Side seams (if any) I cannot be sure of until I see it or a picture.
and quit using silicone
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind