cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Siding/molding sealant help please?

hammick
Explorer
Explorer
The siding on our '14 FR Stealth toyhauler pulled away recently. I think it was cut too short from the factory and the sealant where the molding and siding come together finally gave away (don't get me started on the big "Made in the USA" sticker on our camper; I truly believe I would be better off if it was made in China or Taiwan).

Anyway I was able to get the siding back and used four or five tiny brad nails to affix it to the wood that is behind it. I then used some clear window caulk for a temporary fix.

What is stuff that was put between the siding and edge molding at the factory? Almost looks like window glaze. In the Spring I plan to remove all the old stuff and re-seal it properly on both sides. What should I use?

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6

hammick
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
hammick wrote:
For $500 I'd let a pro do it.

If you take it to a shop and pay to have it repaired, that does not guarantee a pro will do the work.
I would call a mobile RV Tech.

You are absolutely right. I have no confidence in the dealer's repair shops. I'm taking it to a Mobile RV Tech that sounded very promising on the phone. Taking it there so it can be repaired in their shop in a heated climate. Plus they will have access to their tools and inventory so less likely to be rushed or do a hack job.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
hammick wrote:
For $500 I'd let a pro do it.

If you take it to a shop and pay to have it repaired, that does not guarantee a pro will do the work.
I would call a mobile RV Tech.

hammick
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
First things first.
Pill the corner apart and inspect for water damage. Then and only then staple the tin back in place followed by lots of sealant, then the corner molding.

Already looked in there the best I could. Will take a good look when the molding is off. I found a shop that can probably get both sides done for $500, including larger modlings and a tape similar to Corner seal. Then the question becomes do I have them do the rear molding for preventative maintenance? **** trailer is less than three years old.

Pretty sure there is no water damage as it has been stored inside for the last 1 1/2 years in a very low humidity climate and I wasn't driving in the rain when I noticed the siding bowing out.

Do any manufacturers take these extra steps when building these things? Forest River makes some cool Toyhaulers but I'm going to do some serious homework on other manufacturers next time I upgrade.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
First things first.
Pill the corner apart and inspect for water damage. Then and only then staple the tin back in place followed by lots of sealant, then the corner molding.

hammick
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone had a shop do the Corner Seal repair? Trying to get an idea on cost before before I tackle it myself. For $500 I'd let a pro do it.

hammick
Explorer
Explorer
Gotta love YouTube. Found a great video on my exact issue and fix. Looks like a great Spring project using a product called Corner Seal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVS0zkWcQEo