cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Since Technical Resources Is Unresponsive...

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Garmin 010-01539-01 DriveSmart 50LMT GPS Navigator $85.00 refurbished

It says it has voice instructions
But I have bad hearing

How LOUD does the volume adjust to? I'll try and give an example.

With all windows open on a busy city boulevard
Could a "normal" person understand the commands?

That being said it is supposed to have an earphone jack. Does something like a 12 volt powered amplified speaker exist that could plug into the jack?

With my budget eighty five dollars is a chancy roll of the dice.

Thank you
16 REPLIES 16

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I want to spend the least amount of time swirling around north of the border playing hide and go crunch. And THAT is on track. Down here the drivers are all genetically suicidal and it's only the decrepit ugliness of my toad that keeps other drivers at bay. And **** tootin' I need and want a GPS.

Gottahaveit
OK kids..California has nothing to do with this thread. Let's be nice. CA is not for everyone nor is Mexico. To each their own, let's keep on subject.
40ft Mandalay Quad Slide
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've had our Garmin 3550LMT for several years and I've custom loaded over 450,000 Points of Interest into it to cover almost any RV location need. It's been priceless in helping us get to places all over the U.S. - when also combined with "intelligent" hardcopy map reading.

It's volume is adjustable via tapping it's "Settings" icon. It's Garmin navigation voice is too loud (cab area of a Ford E450 V10 cutaway van under our Class C motorhome) on it's full setting, so we use it's 90% volume setting.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
I'll buy that for a dollar.:B
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
My perception is that for too many California drivers

Time slows

w a y d o w n

then to top it off

They get an attack

of the MUNCHIES

So they turn the radio up and punch the throttle...

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone who drives in California is late for something. They must be.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
There sure are a lot of one star reviews for the more economical models ๐Ÿ˜ž

Stopped working and voice instructions quit are worrisome.

CALIFORNIA where form is infinitely more important than function. 90% of industrial or business area firms have five by nine feet signs set back a hundred feet on a vast lawn. In impatient traffic I have now become the crawling, uncertain dotard.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
This doesn't help, but they used to have a feature where you could "bluetooth" connect them to your vehicle's audio/radio via an unused FM frequency. It worked well. Don't think they have that any more.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's often easier to see the name vs the number, nothing to do with CA. But our Garmin normally gets us to the general area. The jeep GPS is second best, should be better with it's fancy Linux computer.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Oops. It must come with a suction setup for the wallet, Trackrig.

I am tired of fumble-futzing finding new medical addresses across the border. They must think it's cute giving an address for the main street then posting the numbers on the side court side of the building.

Or two buildings with the same numbers -- one on one side of a divided boulevard the other on the far side.

Depart and there is no on-ramp to return the way you came. Use an unmarked frontage road.

Similar to Mexico highway logic to post an exit sign after the turnoff so it will confirm you missed the turnoff.

Inhale
Hold It
Exhale
Cough
California logic
We don't have a big sign because everyone knows where we are

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Garmin 010-01539-01 DriveSmart 50LMT GPS Navigator $85.00 refurbished
Thank you

Does it come with the suction cup, some other mount, or will those cost you another $25 - $30?

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Garmin Driveassist 50LMT. It is very similar to the DriveSmart except it incorporates a dashcam as well.

The volume seems adequate when operating. Mine is about a year old and the sound has stopped. I no longer hear any warnings or instructions.

I have done a factory reset twice since owning and am not very happy with the unit. It seems to have some software issues but other than the sound going out the problems are in the DriveAssist portion. Personally I think it is a faulty product and seeing all the refurbished ones for sale seems to support my thoughts.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Amazon Prime $66, returnable if it doesn't work for you, 3.5 rating. Have you read the reviews?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are many times when my Garmin simply refuses to talk, like when leaving a parking lot, or it talks too late for the turn. Point is, I rarely rely on its voice, I just look at it.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman