Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar Cells charging batteries

52markwilliams
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not any electrical engineer.

I have a new fifth-wheel with all the bells and whistles.
I have a 3000 Watt solar panel on the roof.
Question: Will the solar panels keep my batteries charged while in storage ? Thanks
9 REPLIES 9

MrWizard
Mark
How large is this solar panel
300w is about 5 ft by 6 ft
30w about 18 inches by 30 inches
3000w about 50 ft by 60 ft
3 watts will set on top of the air conditioner
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lynn0527 wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
Lynn0527 wrote:
I had exactly the same question as my RV is parked on my driveway (I have 100W solar panel) and I live in Canada but I was told a trickle charger would work better and that is what I have now. Cost me about $40.00 and I haven't had any problems even in the coldest weather.
Great option when you have AC power. The rigs charger will/should do the same but may use more power since typically there are some loads but it all depends upon what kind of disconnects you have.

Yeah, I just learned that today. I will probably take the trickle charger back as now I was told if I plug in my coach battery and leave the disconnect switch on, both batteries will keep a full charge.

I am new to this and it wasn't in my owners manual. Sorry, back to the solar question, didn't mean to hijack OP.
Hold the phone - old saying.

With a voltmeter verify that both batteries will be charged, not all chargers charge the chassis battery. You can get an adequate voltmeter for $5 at HF or even a free one.

Post your charger mfg and model number. Forum members will very likely advise you about the charger. Not all chargers are "good 3 stage" and not all are good at maintaining the correct float charge. What you have may be just fine but it doesn't hurt to find out.

A new thread with appropriate title might be helpful.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Lynn0527
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
Lynn0527 wrote:
I had exactly the same question as my RV is parked on my driveway (I have 100W solar panel) and I live in Canada but I was told a trickle charger would work better and that is what I have now. Cost me about $40.00 and I haven't had any problems even in the coldest weather.
Great option when you have AC power. The rigs charger will/should do the same but may use more power since typically there are some loads but it all depends upon what kind of disconnects you have.

Yeah, I just learned that today. I will probably take the trickle charger back as now I was told if I plug in my coach battery and leave the disconnect switch on, both batteries will keep a full charge.

I am new to this and it wasn't in my owners manual. Sorry, back to the solar question, didn't mean to hijack OP.
2012 Pleasure Way TS Excel
Calgary Alberta

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Lynn,

You were misinformed.

Lynn0527 wrote:

Good luck.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lynn0527 wrote:

Bob

Lynn0527
Explorer
Explorer
52markwilliams wrote:

Question: Will the solar panels keep my batteries charged while in storage ? Thanks

Good luck.
2012 Pleasure Way TS Excel
Calgary Alberta

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
For 30W maybe if all loads are off. Off as in full battery disconnect except for the solar connection.

I doubt you have 300W but maybe. What is the controller mfg and model number? Solar panel model?

Bob

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
52markwilliams wrote:
Question: Will the solar panels keep my batteries charged while in storage ?
Just barely.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
52markwilliams wrote:

Will solar keep your batteries up in storage? Yes as long as there isn't more draw than the solar puts out.

I'm not sure but I believe a 3000w panel would be the size of a house, so I bet it's between 30w (good for storage duty) to 300w.

Congrats on the new camper.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator