cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar Panel Ratings and Dealers

Rocky2
Explorer
Explorer
Been years since I installed my first solar panels. I'm getting a new Class A and will want about 270 to 300 watts of solar and associated equipment. Where are you buying your panels (in the West) and what brands are now preferred?
8 REPLIES 8

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
No brands anymore. It's all being made in one place now, you know where.

Solar Blvd is a good outlet, pick up panels at their warehouse (in Irvine? don't remember), to save on shipping. Though a couple of 100W panels you can often get with free shipping, or buy at Home Depot (and $50 Grape controller there too). There is very little other associated equipment - just a wire and fuse/breaker.

200-300W is not much, even in sunny Ca.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rocky2 wrote:
Been years since I installed my first solar panels. I'm getting a new Class A and will want about 270 to 300 watts of solar and associated equipment. Where are you buying your panels (in the West) and what brands are now preferred?

That doesn't seem like much for a Class A if you want some 120v via inverter. To me, a Class A means you are way past tent camping and will want some serious off- grid 120v capability to use your 120v goodies.

So a 2000w inverter at least, and four or more house batts, and with flat mounted roof panels (which cut down on what you could get with portable aimed, IMO you are looking for at least 500w flat mounted.
More watts flat would be even better if you can use them.

Of course it all depends on your latitude and time of year what your daily AH haul will be, so you need a scenario/situation to make any sensible plans.

Whatever the case, being in California would make a factory outlet and pick it up yourself the way to go. As for brand, any brand of solar panel is much like another, so just grab what they have on sale at the time.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look, Joe, I got a MPPT for the same reason you did....and a remote. You are not alone.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Joe417
Explorer
Explorer
I bought Hightec Solar. It included 30' of wire, a 20 Amp controller(cheap PWM), and shipping for about $1 per watt. It worked great and has a 2" wide aluminum frame. I upgraded the controller to a 30 Amp mppt, but only because I wanted the sexy meter to look at, the PWM worked fine.

Additional items I bought were two DC circuit breakers, two connectors for the panel end of the wire, and a junction box. The panel already had connectors.
Joe and Evelyn

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Iโ€™m happy with my WindyNation kit. Not that much more to go 400 watts with WN....I should have. Not sunny every day even when in Ventura!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Solar blvd
Need to catch their sales and look at their stuff on eBay

They are in Norco California. I had three 160's shipped to the Q last year for $350

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
Got Dirt? wrote:
I put Grape Solar Mono's up on mine - can be had at HomeDepot.com

What got dirt said! +1
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

Got_Dirt_
Explorer
Explorer