cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar Panel Wiring

Passin__Through
Explorer
Explorer
Is regular automotive primary wire suitable for use between a solar panel and the charge controller? I am installing two, 100-watt poly panels on the roof of my 5er, running the wires down a holding tank vent pipe, then to the controller. My plan is to wire the panels in parallel, then utilize the 10AWG automotive primary wire after the Y-connector.

My thinking is that automotive primary wire would be easier to work with as it is more flexible than the wire coming from the solar panels. It is also much less expensive than solar panel extension wire. I am aware I will need male and female MC4 connectors for the primary wire.

I have never done this before, so thank you in advance for your sage advice.
2008 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax 4x4 CCSB; Superglide 16k hitch w/3" lift kit; Titan 52-gallon replacement fuel tank :C
2007 HitchHiker II LS 26.5RLBG Mor/Ryde pinbox:B
16 REPLIES 16

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
GPT wire is not made to handle constant exposure to sun and weather. You can get a 50' cable with MC4 ends installed for $31 through Amazon. Cut it in half, and you have 25' of cable to get from the panels to your controller. I haven't found it to be stiff for its size.

How much are you going to pay for just the connectors and GPT wire? Do you have a proper crimper to put the MC4 connectors on?