cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar trickle charger

MURPHY55347
Explorer
Explorer
So I'm using a Battery Minder 20 watt solar panel to keep the batteries topped off. I'm tying to figure out if it's working correctly. It's partly cloudy today and I'm reading 13.25 volts from the solar panel going into the controller. But coming out of the controller and going to the batteries I'm reading 12.5 volts which is exactly what the batteries are reading. Coming out of the controller I'm using a splitter with one leg going to the starter battery and the other is connected to the both of the coach batteries. Battery Minder says I should be able to charge 4 batteries. The starter battery is completely isolated using a manual battery disconnect. This is a class A motorhome. It just doesn't seem like there is enough oomph to do the job. The other issue I'm dealing with is I'm questioning the integrity of the batteries. We purchased this motorhome new last May and I know it probably sat on the lot for a year before we bought it. Stater battery for one just doesn't seem to want to hold a charge but in the same breath I'm not sure the solar panel is doing its job. It's the middle of winter here so not much fun trying to do anything with it being cold out. I know I should have the battery tested but the other 2 batteries have to come out first and the starter battery weighs 46 pounds which is difficult for me to handle.
So to sum it up I have 2 questions.
Is the solar panel working correctly?
Can all the batteries be toast having been probably sitting in an uncharged state?
9 REPLIES 9

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
For best results the battery needs to be fully charged and disconnected for this trickle maintainer. Will do much better in the summer.
12.5 is not full charge.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
MURPHY55347 wrote:
It's partly cloudy today and I'm reading 13.25 volts from the solar panel going into the controller.
Voltage doesn't tell you much from a panel, but it should be more than 13.

As said, a 20w panel is not enough.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Minimum 60 watts per 100 amp-hours of storage for solar. With flooded, about 150 watts maximum per 100 amp-hours.

This series of articles may help: https://freecampsites.net/adding-solar/
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
20 watts max= less than that most of the time, which means not enough. And remember, parasitic loads suck power 24 hours a day, sunny or cloudy.
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Wet cells? Check the specific gravity and as mentioned more panel

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on the parasitic loads that your rig has...I doubt that 20W will keep things charged on anything but perfectly sunny days in winter. The angle of the sun is too shallow and modern rigs have items consuming 12V more so than 10-20 years ago. I would first check the fluid levels in the batteries and disconnect them from loads if able. I don't want to call a 20W panel useless...but most folks who toss a tiny panel on their dash find out fast its just not enough. I like to bring my batts indoors and put on a Deltran Battery Tender as needed in winter.
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
For the conditions and equipment I would say most likely everything is working fine.
Really need 100+ watts. Battery at 12.5 is fine but OK to put a charger on if you are concerned.

MrWizard
20watts, even at max output full sun thats pretty small
right now you are probably getting less than 10watts

thats about 0.8 amps AKA 800ma to try an maintain your 3 batteries ?

i think thats a loosing situation, batteries are going to go down
as you are finding out
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Twenty watts on a solar setup for four batteries seems too light to me. I use 30 solar watts on two Trojan T125s to keep them at 12.7.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad