cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

solar

Jack1776
Explorer
Explorer
I have a new vintage cruiser 19ERD travel travel and I need to put solar for my sleep machine. I would like to know what size panel I would need and do I need an inverter? Thnak You
8 REPLIES 8

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
The cost of panels is almost nothing nowdays. To me it's more the time to buy and set things up, and because of that, you only want to do it once. Put 200 or 300 watts up there and be done with it. Your batteries will thank you.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
100 watts minimum for the effort. You will need a controller.

Inverter is needed to have 120vac. What are you expecting to plug in?

The 12 Volt Side of Life

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Jack,

Here is a plain English series of articles on solar.

https://freecampsites.net/adding-solar/

Start with an energy audit.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do an energy survey to determine how many average amps you use per day. You will need at least double that in battery amp hour storage. Then the panels need to have at least one watt per battery amp hour.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
If your unit is a Phillips Respironics these adaptors can be used with many to avoid the inverter being needed.
If a different brand or model check the mfr website.
As to power usage, most are 50-70 watts with the higher wattage being for those folks who use the humidifier option.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Assuming you're doing your sleeping at night, I think you need to be concerned with how many batteries you have.

jshupe wrote:
T And I'm not familiar with machines.
I'm amazed at how many people are using them.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
This comes up a lot, and it seems a lot of CPAP machines can run off DC, so you can avoid an inverter if you have the correct machine. And I'm not familiar with machines, but energy consumption seems to vary drastically depending on whether you use a warmer, etc.

In short, we need more details about your setup before we can provide any tuned recommendations.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40',
4380W solar, 22.8kWh LiFePO4@48V, 450AH AGM@12V
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T, cloaked on 37x13.5s

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
How much power does your sleep machine consume?
Does it take AC or DC power?

There should be a placard listing out the wattage (or possibly voltage/amperage). With that, you can calculate the watt-hr used.
- If it uses say 50w, you sleep 8hr and it runs constantly, you will need 400w-hr. (volts * amps = watts if it lists amps)
- If it takes 12v DC power directly, you don't need an inverter but you will need a suitable 12v outlet.
- If it takes 120v AC power you will need an inverter.

Assuming 400w-hr, you will need around 100w of panels assuming no other electrical loads. Typically, if you multiply the rated wattage of the panel by 4, that will be a good estimate of the watt-hr generated per day. You might round up to 125-150w panel, so you have a little fudge factor to account for inefficiencies.

You will also need a battery bank capable of storing that much but you can only use around 50% of a lead acid battery capacity without damaging it so figure 800 watt-hr...round up to 1000watt-hr to account for losses. That's going to be about 85 amp-hr battery bank (@ 12v).

Update with the actual wattage and use duration along with anything else you are running and it's pretty straight forward to update my calculations.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV