Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

[SOLVED] 3 way fridge won't run on 12v

obscenic
Explorer
Explorer
Edit: Solved

The switch, which I had previously determined was the problem and replaced, was in fact the problem. Replacing the switch with a new one had fixed the original problem. However, the issue I had after installing the new switch was a re-assembly problem. When you spin the control section back in to mesh with the switch stem, t-stat stem, the pilot stem and and piezo stem, the switch stem sprung section had been pushed back and stuck there. It didn't engage the switch stem. When I turned the dial to 12v (after testing 120v successfully), the switch hadn't actually been rotated to pass 12v - it was still in 120v mode. The fridge was actually set to run on 120v but wasn't plugged in to 120v; and as I believed it was set to run on 12v at that time, it *appeared* to still be broken. So the 12v was fixed after the switch replacement, but the dial not engaging the switch left the fridge unable to change heat sources.

Original message:

Have an old dometic RM361. Here's what I've ruled out.

- The cooling unit is in tip top shape and runs great on 120v and propane.
- The 12v heater works fine when removed and connected to a 12v battery
- The switch is brand new today (thought it was the problem... it wasn't)
- There's no 12v relay in this model, and no circuit board
- The thermostat is shared by 120v and 12v so I know it works as well.
- There is 12v at the terminal block.

I've tested literally everything in the 12v path and each component functions find on it's own; yet when all is assembled, the 12v heater does not come on. There's no power going to it. I'm at the end of my wits now.. if anyone has a suggestion other than ghosts, I would LOVE to hear it.
25 REPLIES 25

neschultz
Explorer
Explorer
obscenic wrote:
Thanks everyone for the thoughts!

Neschultz; there's 12v at all time. My domestic battery is actually completely isolated from my vehicle battery; the alternator does not charge the domestic battery.

I wasnโ€™t clear enough. The 12 volts from the alternator to the refer did not operate the refer or charge it. It was a logic voltage that allowed the use of the TT 12 volts to operate the refer. It probably operated a relay. The refer would also not run on 12 volts automatically...you had to manually select it. When the engine stopped, it would revert back to AC or LP automatically.
Norman & Janet with Minnie the Weiner Dog
2005 SunnyBrook 38 BWQS 5th Wheel (stationary in FL for snowbirding)

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Clip to t-stat S/B a 'fuse holder'???

See Fig 20 pg 13 Item 17

LINK
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

obscenic
Explorer
Explorer
I have a boatload of amp hours battery, and a boat load of solar, and I'm rarely off grid for more than a few hours. I can't run on LP because I decommissioned my onboard tank due to 35 years of rust, so 20lb tanks travel inside with me and get hooked up when I'm camped (they sit on the ground beside the RV).
MrWizard, that's all I'm looking for. A few hours on the road on occasion. And yes, testing at a toasty 22 degrees celcius. The t-stat comes on on 120v no prob.

MrWizard
obsenic

you do realize , that 12v mode was only intended as a keep cool mode while traveling, and not for primary cooling

my first choice would just be to run on LP even while driving, and forget the 12v mode

my second choice would be to rewire the 12v heating element with a 30amp toggle switch and connect directly to the 12v coming to fridge
its the sane thing as switching manually using the built in switch you just replaced, eliminates all that hidden wiring problems

bypassing the T-stat won't really change the cooling factor, as the 12v pretty much stays on and hardly ever switches off,

one question
you are testing this in a warm above 60* environment correct ?
i have doubts about testing 12v mode inside a cold garage or RV
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
Seems to me running the fridge on 12VDC is not a good idea. If you stop somewhere for lunch you are apt to have a dead battery UNLESS you have lots of AMP Hours built into the 12V system to handle the fridge heating element. JMO.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
neschultz wrote:
Iโ€™ve only had one 3 way Dometic. It was in a small motor home and would only work on 12 volts if the engine was running. So it had a separate 12 volt input from the engine 12 volts to allow that. Does that apply to you?

We had a 3 way Dometic also. It was RM663, with a logic board, but the 12 VDC was powered only with engine running. It had a Relay. A 200 watt element isn't much amperage at 120 VAC but it's a bunch at 12 VDC. 3 way fell out of favor because of that. Motorhome has so many current draws that even with an upgraded alternator, the coach charging system was coming up short.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

obscenic
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the thoughts!

Valhalla: I did this as best as possible; only the 12v and the coil 12v out are measureable when the fridge is assembled and installed. There's 12v going in to the switch, but no 12v coming out to the coil (mode set to 12v and tstat maxed out). I checked continuity across the switch when it was out and there was no issue. When it's assembled, meter probes can't reach the switch or the t-stat ๐Ÿ˜ž

D-d and Doug; I had noticed that fuse in a couple wiring diagrams, though the diagram on the fridge itself does not show a fuse. The only place I can't see is the wire inside the cable loom to the heat stack, but I've checked continuity over both wires with a meter and they're fine. I think I can safely rule out a fuse.

Neschultz; there's 12v at all time. My domestic battery is actually completely isolated from my vehicle battery; the alternator does not charge the domestic battery.

neschultz
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve only had one 3 way Dometic. It was in a small motor home and would only work on 12 volts if the engine was running. So it had a separate 12 volt input from the engine 12 volts to allow that. Does that apply to you?
Norman & Janet with Minnie the Weiner Dog
2005 SunnyBrook 38 BWQS 5th Wheel (stationary in FL for snowbirding)

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
According to the wiring Schematic, there is a FUSE between the 12 volt element and the tstat 12 volt output. You need to check for 12 volts at the OUTPUT of the tstat. If you have 12 volts, then that fuse is the problem. Since it is so old, I have no idea where Dometic located that fuse, but it is between the tstat and the 12 volt element. Doug

It is a 25 amp dc fuse.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chris Bryant has a lot of Service Manuals HERE. The one called RM77 might help you. There's a wiring diagram Fig 66 Page 38 that might help you. That Switch does a lot. Are you sure it's connected correctly? Also shows a Fuse on the 12V side. Have you found it and is it OK?
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
So the cooling unit is fine as is the 12v heating element.

Time to break out the multimeter and find where the connection isn't making it thru.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV