cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

spark Arrestor etc. Got to be a better way

VTR
Explorer
Explorer
Wire brush and blow torch to clean these things. Is there some liquid I can put them in that will eat away the carbon? Need to buy some replacements but still trying to find them
5 REPLIES 5

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
It took me longer to remove it than to clean it. It was rusted on good and I needed a propane torch to remove it.

You are helping to make my point. You got lucky with removing it.
What often happens is that the "pipe" that is screwed into the head breaks off and then you have a real mess.

A little carbon buildup in a muffler is NOT a problem....really.
Even more than a little usually is not a problem.
If it bothers you, once it's good and hot give it a few taps with a hammer handle or screwdriver handle while it's running at speed. Any carbon that is loose should come flying out. If rusty metal pieces come flying out.....it's time for a new one.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sam Spade wrote:
Unless and until the carbon accumulates to a point that it makes a significant restriction to the gas flow......they don't need to be cleaned. The hot fast gasses flowing through should be enough to keep the passages open. The carbon that might accumulate on the flat surfaces should not cause any problem until it gets REALLY bad.

AND....if the engine makes enough carbon to plug the muffler/spark arrestor quickly then you likely have something wrong with the engine. 2-cycle engines are bad about that; others should not be.
The spark arrester on my genset which is 20 years old. I cleaned it once and the screen was black but not clogged with carbon. I soaked it in gas over night and blew it out with compressed air. It took me longer to remove it than to clean it. It was rusted on good and I needed a propane torch to remove it.

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Carburetor cleaner
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
VTR wrote:
Wire brush and blow torch to clean these things. Is there some liquid I can put them in that will eat away the carbon? Need to buy some replacements but still trying to find them

That's the method we used, when racing 2 stroke dirt bikes. Never found any thing better.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Unless and until the carbon accumulates to a point that it makes a significant restriction to the gas flow......they don't need to be cleaned. The hot fast gasses flowing through should be enough to keep the passages open. The carbon that might accumulate on the flat surfaces should not cause any problem until it gets REALLY bad.

AND....if the engine makes enough carbon to plug the muffler/spark arrestor quickly then you likely have something wrong with the engine. 2-cycle engines are bad about that; others should not be.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"