cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Strange Generator Issue

_Me2_
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer has an Onan Microquiet 4000 that has started having an intermittent problem, although it is becoming the rule more than the exception now.

When I try to start it, it will crank for maybe 1/2 a second or so and then stop. It will keep doing that if I hold the button down. Sometimes it will fire up and run perfectly, but that is becoming few and far between. I am not getting any errors lights.

The batteries are strong and I have checked and cleaned the connections. I took off the start relay and it tests out fine, with 4 ohms across the coil and there is continuity across the terminals when the coil is energized. My next thought is starter or control assembly, neither of which am I looking forward to working on. I am leaning toward the control assembly since it's not giving me any error lights. Any ideas?
2014 GMC HD2500 Denali Duramax Diesel 4x4
2007 Weekend Warrior FS2500
6 REPLIES 6

_Me2_
Explorer
Explorer
I jumped the start relay and ground directly to the battery to eliminate any connection and ground issues, and it does the same thing. I also jumped my truck to the trailer batteries (couldn't get close enough to jump the generator directly) and no change. I tested the voltage and it jumps up to almost 12 and then drops to zero each cycle (as though something is shutting off the coil). I even connected a jump box directly to the generator side of the start relay while also using the start button, and it does spin a bit longer than usual, but it still doesn't start.

_Me2_
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the ideas. I will make sure the grounds are good. I'm not sure that I can check the voltage accurately because it will cycle trying to start every second or so, but I will try. It does exactly the same thing from the indoor switch and the switch on the generator.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Is it the same from the remote as the genset switch?
-- Chris Bryant

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check the voltage while cranking, if it drops below 10 volts, you have a power to the generator problem.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Try checking/cleaning the chassis ground wires - both the generator and battery.
Kevin

Chopperbob
Explorer
Explorer
It needs power to run. Mine did That. It was a
Regulater, stator, and field. Could be something
Simple but We Had To Take ours to a cummins
dealer.
Bob