cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Suburban gas water heater failure to ignite

tsduke03
Explorer
Explorer
My water heater doesn't want to light all the time. It will try a few times to ignite and go into lockout. Sometimes it will work fine for a day then fail to ignite again. It's seems like the longer it sits the lest likely to like.

Now, I can pop my grill lighter in there when it's trying to light it will ignite every time.

Igniter maybe?

Thanks!
2011 Heartland 26FQB
2 REPLIES 2

therink
Explorer
Explorer
X2 what previous poster said. Also make sure there isn't a single cobweb or obstacle in the burner tube. You would be surprised how much the tiniest cobweb can disrupt the air/gas mixture.
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
The spark electrode is attempting to light main flame..but only does so intermittently. YOU can light main flame with a BBQ lighter so problem is with spark electrode.

Need to clean spark electrode (emery cloth), set spark gap to 1/8", clean up ground (screw holds bracket provide grd. source), check the ceramic & high tension wire for cracks (also wipe them down with a rag with silicone on it) and then position spark electrode so that it is engulfed by main flame.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31