cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Suburban VS Atwood water heaters question

path1
Explorer
Explorer
On our 5th RV, but latest RV is our first one with a Suburban water heater. Also first time having an anode rod. While I understand why the steel tank needs an anode I wonder why steel is even being used anymore. Alum in Atwoods seem to do the job without the hassle of anodes. Seems to me just one more to keep on. Not that is takes a lot of time, But I would like to get rid of some maint items; not add to them. But maybe I'm missing something?

Your thoughts...Is one better than the other?
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"
3 REPLIES 3

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
j-d wrote:

Biggest factor I've noticed is about replacements: The two have different form factors. Suburban's tank is lengthwise across the RV while Atwood's tank has its length fore-and-aft in the coach. So I'd replace an Atwood with an Atwood, a Suburban with another Suburban. Otherwise, you're cutting the side wall of the coach to replace Suburban with Atwood or using a filler to replace Atwood with Suburban.

Suburban has a conversion door kit available for replacing Atwood heaters with a Sububan 6-gallon heater. Their 10-gallon heaters fit as is.

Suburban 520787 Door Kit
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'll go with "just different" as far as a coach builder choosing which to install, and the owner using the appliance.
But as a tinkerer, I found the electric element on Atwood replaces from behind, while Suburban is from the front. Depending on access to the rear (inside the coach) access, Atwood might be harder to repair in that regard. But I also just found the gas burner has to come off to access Suburban's electric element...
Biggest factor I've noticed is about replacements: The two have different form factors. Suburban's tank is lengthwise across the RV while Atwood's tank has its length fore-and-aft in the coach. So I'd replace an Atwood with an Atwood, a Suburban with another Suburban. Otherwise, you're cutting the side wall of the coach to replace Suburban with Atwood or using a filler to replace Atwood with Suburban.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Suburban uses the same type of porcelain tank lining that most residential water heaters use. The Atwood aluminum tank lining is the anode, while Suburban uses a replaceable anode like residential tanks. Just different design philosophies. Neither is necessarily better, just different...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate