cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surge Protector Scorched

Dernhelm
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks - hope this is the right forum for this?

I have a 30A surge protector. This weekend while it was in use the power company (not the campground) did a power failure. I started hearing arcing from the box and beeping from the rig so I went to turn everything off - but the cheap s*** Regional Park didn't have circuit breakers. When the power came back on and I left the next day, I found that one of the posts on my surge protector is all scorched looking.

Do I need to replace it? Or do I just sand off the scorching?

BTW,it did its job and none of the rig was damaged.
Dogmom, Railfan, Dancer
Co-Pilots: Nimrodel & Beren
DOTLs: Spcs. Bortan, Dernhelm & Erkenbrand, Rainbow Div. 11/11, 2/09, 1/14
Jayco 17Z, GMC Yukon, GMC Canyon
There's a whole pack waiting for me at the Bridge - I'll have to take a lot of tennis balls!
21 REPLIES 21

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Which Surge device do you have? (make and model)
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, definitely replace it.

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would certainly NOT trust that surge protector with a scorched post. No telling what damage was done in the cable or inside the unit. I'd replace it. NOTE: If you had had a Progressive Industries EMS unit, it would be covered by their Lifetime warranty...... just saying....
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dernhelm wrote:
Hi folks - hope this is the right forum for this?

I have a 30A surge protector. This weekend while it was in use the power company (not the campground) did a power failure. I started hearing arcing from the box and beeping from the rig so I went to turn everything off - but the cheap s*** Regional Park didn't have circuit breakers. When the power came back on and I left the next day, I found that one of the posts on my surge protector is all scorched looking.

Do I need to replace it? Or do I just sand off the scorching?

BTW,it did its job and none of the rig was damaged.
That's the important part, that's why we have them. I would think you need to have it tested, just to be sure it'll do it's job again.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your SP is resettable after a surge?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
And some parks now forbid the use of autoformers. RVer isn’t getting what he/she paid for…safe power…and can’t make it safe for their RV.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
It worked if you have no damage! Yes, I’d replace mine if in your situation. Your experience is why I don’t plug in much. What brand and model please?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad