cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Suspended Tool Counterweights?

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
That's what I call them. Spring reels counter-weighted to make a multi-pound tool weigh mere ounces. Adjustable tension. When doing multiple joint solder work on 10-14 AWG conductor my 240 watt Weller gun is a handful for my arthritic fingers. I would like to suspend my heat gun next to it not because of weight, but it is awkward laying on the bench and its power cord inevitably sucks parts over the edge.

Both will have their power cords suspended (I hope).

Thoughts about this would be appreciated. Thank you
4 REPLIES 4

BrianinMichigan
Explorer
Explorer
Like this https://www.surpluscenter.com/Miscellaneous/Other-Miscellaneous/3-lb-Vulcan-Spring-Tension-Device-1-...
1990 GEORGIE BOY 28' 454 4BBL, TURBO 400 TRANS,
CAMPING: WHERE YOU SPEND A SMALL FORTUNE TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
On my bench I use a series of pulleys (2 per tool), some old fashioned 1/4โ€ cotton sash cord and empty water jugs. One pulley directly over each tools resting place and one against the wall either side of the bench.

By using water (or sand I suppose) I can very easily fine tune the amount of counterbalance for each tool.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tool balancer is the name you seek..

You want to make sure the one you pick is adjustable for the weight of the tool, some are and some are not.

Plenty to choose from HERE starting as low as $20

My now former employer threw out at least 40-50 of them a long with many tools, benches and inventory after they were bought out and competing product production lines were stomped out.. Never thought to grab a few, I have a pretty darn heavy spot welder that is next to impossible to keep lifted..

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I believe you're talking about Tool Balancer and Retractors.
I have no experience with them but, I have seen them in use. They seem like a good idea.
Maybe you can build something yourself cheaper than buying one.