Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TekPower 50 amp adjustable supply?

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.amazon.com/TekPower-TP50SW-Analog-Supply-Cigarette/dp/B00L5QU616

Would this be suitable for RV use as power converter? Assuming one knew how to adjust voltage for conditions. There is some talk on Amazon comments that it is not suitable for battery charging....

If this has been covered previously I'd appreciate link to thread. Didn't find it in search..
33 REPLIES 33

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Converter at float. Throw a light switch. Converter pops to 14.4 or whatever. Over and over and hundeds of dozens of times. AGM batteries hate that and there is no reason to design a converter to cycle the battery 20,000 times needlessly over its shortened lifespan. Somehow some of you have convinced yourself that I do not recommend the use of multi-stage converters. Nothing could be further from fact. My critiquing is to point out the shortcomings in a seventy nine cent IC and figure a cheap, simple way to correct the deficiencies. Such as boondocking and needing to run the generator 15 hours instead of three with a power supply
Or sticking an AGM on float and keeping it there. Or pressing a desulfate button 22 times to fully charge a flooded battery. In October my R&S bank turns 22. Course I COULD HAVE settled for the median age and spent $22,000 dollars eight years ago by not caring for the batteries. Keep it in perspective thank you veey much.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
The problem with a SINGLE STAGE converter is that they either NEVER fully charge your batteries ...

I respectfully disagree for AGM batteries.

The situation is that it just just takes longer with a single stage charger, and .... if it's OK to also float at that same single stage voltage - as many AGM batteries are spec'd to do - then the single stage charger is doing both jobs of charging and floating.

Wet cell batteries are different - they need higher than float voltages for charging for other reasons - regardless of whether or not one can wait for the days and days it would take them to finally charge up at float voltages.

At least the above is in line with my AGM RV battery experience gained from our years of motorhome hit and run camping style - where the batteries get some engine alternator exposure here and there - along with almost continual storage at home on a single stage converter/charger.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
Generally agree with above. The PD does the best it can with the inputs it has. I couldn't think of designing it differently for the average guy who leaves his RV in storage and needs to get charge into the batteries. Hey at least it does go in the 14.4 mode and stays there for a while. A temperature input would be a great additional step.

I have a '15 Honda Accord and am surprised how much charge the battery takes to get it completely full after a few weeks of driving. Everything seems to be working as designed but it appears that the battery is only kept at about 90% state of charge. Wondering if fuel economy priorities are a reason..

Vulcan_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
tpi wrote:

Like said above-how can this be so smart floating at same voltage in 100 degree weather as 20 degree weather..

Two reasons:
IT is much smarter than most humans when it comes to electrical theory.
AND
When you get right down to it, it REALLY doesn't make that much difference.
NOR
Does it hurt your AGM batteries to have 14.4 volts applied to them for a few hours every time your charger is powered up.

A manually adjustable charger might be better for YOU....and our friend in Mexico.....but it is NOT for most people.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Plugged into a currant bush?

Did not know that grow in your area...

Now if someone could photoshop a NEMA 14-50 toward the base we all would know what you are talking about.

NEMATOAD

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

Did not know that grow in your area...

Now if someone could photoshop a NEMA 14-50 toward the base we all would know what you are talking about.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Hwang Ling Chong Wang Integrated Circuit, programmed by Shivangi Sharma from Uttar Pradesh.

You don't even want to learn who told these IC manufacturers what to do.

Smart chargers are acceptable up to a point. From there they are as "smart" as Frankenstein's Monster. Smart chargers are not plug and play for ideal boondocking or constant float/load power pedestal conditions. Smart chargers are highly regarded by folks who resist an occasional twist of a dial in favor of doing intelligent things like sitting in front of a television 6-hours a day with an occasional break to go online and criticize people who waste 10-precious seconds twisting a dial once a week.

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
Enjoying the discussion. I may try it. First I'll try to trick the PD into doing what I want. I've succeeded once getting it to start in 13.2 mode by floating batteries on solar at 14.4 w/ nothing on inside and engaging converter at that time. If I'm in 20 degree winter weather in Zion, I'll force it into 13.6 overnight to float at more appropriate voltage.

But nothing is easier here-trying to outsmart it-than just having an adjustable one in the first place. I may give it a try and report back at some future time. I'm certainly sponging up the numbers about what these batteries like to float at in different temperatures.

Like said above-how can this be so smart floating at same voltage in 100 degree weather as 20 degree weather..

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer

KJINTF
Explorer
Explorer
No need for shore power
LiFePo4 coach batteries

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
KJINTF wrote:
Yes sure it will work up to it's current limits
However IMO a bit big, expensive and overkill for what I would want or need as a house power source / charger with lead acid AGM batteries.

You might want to consider modifiying one of the PD, Iota, WFCO or similiar units. Most if not all of them can VERY easily be modified to supply adjustable / fixed voltages from 10 to 16 or so within their current capabilities.

Not sure what other charging devices you have - MOST will play together happily some might not be really happy worth looking into

Me I gave up on Lead Acid batteries (AGM, FLA, GC, Etc...) for RV house power.

What is RV house power? You put in a 14-50 NEMA pedestal plug in, tied to the house?

Edit: corrected by smkettner, thank you.

KJINTF
Explorer
Explorer
Yes sure it will work up to it's current limits
However IMO a bit big, expensive and overkill for what I would want or need as a house power source / charger with lead acid AGM batteries.

You might want to consider modifiying one of the PD, Iota, WFCO or similiar units. Most if not all of them can VERY easily be modified to supply adjustable / fixed voltages from 10 to 16 or so within their current capabilities.

Not sure what other charging devices you have - MOST will play together happily some might not be really happy worth looking into

Me I gave up on Lead Acid batteries (AGM, FLA, GC, Etc...) for RV house power.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
First,, Someone mentioned "Filtered output" I hope that is filtered, (but did not take the time to read the specs) if it is designed to provide power for something like my TS-2000 (Ham Rid) it better the blazes better be filtered.

Now, WHY is it not a good RV converter?
Compared to the Magnetek 6300 it is an excellent converter
Compared to the Parallex 7300 is is an equivalent converter

Both of these are SINGLE stage converters, The problem with a SINGLE STAGE converter is that they either NEVER fully charge your batteries or they over charge them and boil 'em dry (The 6300 is famous for that)

A Progressivew Dynamics 9200, on the other hand, is a proper 3 stage converter, This WILL properly charge your batteries and eventually dry them out but it's going to take a LONG time (relative) for that to happen, Months and months (New GC-2's about a year between waterings) (Which reminds me I need to check)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times