Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

telcom battery bank

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi all,

This winter I was not home. There was an early heavy snow and the solar panels on the rv were covered all winter.

So far I've had about 19 amps going into them for one hour. After 24 hours, resting voltage was 8.1

I did another 20 minutes and voltage while charging started at 10.1 and ended at 11.3.

I'm hoping that when I have some shore power, I'll be able to rescue the telcom jars.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.
20 REPLIES 20

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Mex,

Your thread inspired me to try to fix these. So thanks again for all your help.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
A few months ago I posted a note about recovering a 11 year old neglected Lifeline AGM. To make a short story shorter, I ended up leaving the battery connected at 15.5 volts for two weeks.

No it didn't heat up
It did not lose 1 gram of weight
But yes, it finished holding 13.3 volts @ 55ยฐ for a week afterwards.

Neglected? Yes. Disconnected for 3 years

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
pianotuna wrote:
Things are looking good for the battery bank.

Started shore power bulk charging at 62 amps rising to 84 amps. After 5 hours 59 amps. At 11 hours down to 10 amps float charging. 15 hours in and float is 1 amp

Do you have a proper load tester? might be worth checking them after they are full and have rested an hour to see if the very low voltage state they got to have impacted their capacity. mind you if you don't have a reference to what they were before it's just the current state not really a comparison. I know normal batteries including agm can have issues if they get to low.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Things are looking good for the battery bank.

Started shore power bulk charging at 62 amps rising to 84 amps. After 5 hours 59 amps. At 11 hours down to 10 amps float charging. 15 hours in and float is 1 amp
Regards, Don

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
wa8yxm wrote:
If those are edison cells and likely glass jars.. You can boil 'em to desulfate if you have to.. Just don't boil 'em too long (By Boil I mean overcharge)

wa8yxm,

They are a variation on AGM but used in cell towers.

I do wish I had edison cells.
Regards, Don

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If those are edison cells and likely glass jars.. You can boil 'em to desulfate if you have to.. Just don't boil 'em too long (By Boil I mean overcharge)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times