cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tesla battery pack dyi fireworks

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
It appears that it was just sitting in the shop when it decided to become fireworks good thing they where there when it happened.

Buying "cheap" used unknown EV donor batteries?

Tesla battery fireworks
12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,500+ partial cycles.
8 REPLIES 8

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
Itinerant1 wrote:
LittleBill wrote:
actually if you watched the video and read the comments.

they were Charging the battery's without a BMS unit which is pretty much a requirement.

and for the comments on cheaping out. those are prolly some of the highest quality cells you can buy period.

this was a charging issue, and for the guy who posts this video, to hide the fact it was getting charge at the time is shameful.

Cheaping out is buying used batteries on ebay or scrapyard from an unknown EV source. Was it just retired because of miles, hours on cells, lower voltage for EV standards or a wrecked from an accident. They could be the best batteries they certainly give a great show when going thermal.
There was no hiding a fact of charging or not. For folks wanting to play with this chemistry of lithium they should know or see what a thermal run away looks like. You did catch the statement they made of using 8 fire extinguishers to just contain it but they could not extinguish the batteries.
Shameful not one bit I'm living fulltime off Lifepo4 chemistry batteries for 31+ months now.

Lithium battery's can be tested to determine life and internal capacity. actually its pretty much standard, most battery packs are built with "balanced" packs. meaning they are load tested then placed in groups with the closest capacity ratings.no different then SOC for lead acid

most people selling these battery's indicate where they came from and what the internal capacity is, you would be dumb to buy otherwise

saying your being cheap because your buying a battery pack out of a wreck car is dumb, if the cells are fine, it would be pretty hard to hide the damage, hell every single cell (all 4k of them) are individually fused. i'd have 0 concerns buying them. you just need to understand what your doing. this is a higher level of DIY then most people are comfortable with. to each their own but a 1700 dollar battery is not cheap. it will be cheap when these cars flood the junk yards.

what is your point about 8 fire extinguishers? you do know that is wrong right? in the event of a thermal runaway on lipo, there is no oxygen needed to create the fire, fire extinguishers work on the principal of removing oxygen to starve the fire. The ONLY approved method currently and this is direct from Tesla themselves is copious amounts of water.

and lets be clear, the video was edited to remove video of the guy ripping off the cable charging the battery (right at 3:14), its the only place in the video that glitches and the comments are filled talking about. i most certainly believe the video was edited to hide this point.

not sure what your point about 31 months is? i been doing lipo for prolly 10+ years, its been main stream in RC models LONG before it went mainstream in EV/RV

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
LittleBill wrote:

they were Charging the battery's without a BMS unit which is pretty much a requirement.

and for the comments on cheaping out. those are prolly some of the highest quality cells you can buy period.

this was a charging issue, and for the guy who posts this video, to hide the fact it was getting charge at the time is shameful.

Cheaping out is buying used batteries on ebay or scrapyard from an unknown EV source. Was it just retired because of miles, hours on cells, lower voltage for EV standards or a wrecked from an accident. They could be the best batteries they certainly give a great show when going thermal.
There was no hiding a fact of charging or not. For folks wanting to play with this chemistry of lithium they should know or see what a thermal run away looks like. You did catch the statement they made of using 8 fire extinguishers to just contain it but they could not extinguish the batteries.
Shameful not one bit I'm living fulltime off Lifepo4 chemistry batteries for 31+ months now.
12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,500+ partial cycles.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
These guys are experienced and know better. Just failed for being careless.

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are LI batteries and there are LI batteries. Some of 'em like to flame on as the Fantastic 4 character says.

The others do not. THe letters AFTER Li make the difference and no. I'm not current on the technology.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Itinerant1 wrote:
Maybe safety does come at a price.
Yeah, not a great idea to diy (cheap out) on your Li batteries.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
That's what I though and those little batteries do go flying.
Imagine if it was after hours in that garage.

I like my Lifepo4 batteries even more. Maybe safety does come at a price.

MrWizard
Wowzee
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s