Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The BORG Refit 2 Pedal To The Metal

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Full wave bridge rectifiers doubled in ampere capacity rated 1KV PIV

Arctic Silver transistor and heat sink thermal transfer. Massive finned heatsinks heliarced to Megawatt cases.

ON upgrade bi-polar transistors and all Panasonic ESR capacitors, now.

Fan shrouds chopped out and wire computer fan guards are now in place.

10.8 to 15.88 voltage span.

Da Rumble En Da Jungle. The device weighs 10.82 pounds.

120vac source has all the de-spiking tricks now

Quad redundancies of

Gas Discharge tubes, avalanche rectifiers and 20mm MOVS.

For EACH Megawatt. ie, 8 total avalanche rectifiers, etc. 2-amp rice grain fuses on each device. 24-in-all.

Feels GOOD to actually DO something again. A complex project successfully finished. Some people squander huge amounts of money on cigarettes,single male Scotch or faux-beer. I squander my money on NERD stuff.
3 REPLIES 3

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
You were able to tig weld heat aluminum sinks to the megawatt aluminum casings with arctic silver thermal compound in between them?

I used the Arctic silver 2 part thermal epoxy on my Meanwell. Had to avoid the transistor bracket screw holes.

Amazing how much ambient temperature affects all the heat producing things I now have temperature sensors attached to.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
At 88 volts AC RMS, the BORG (A) Megawatt will develop 34 amps max.

I got tired of dealing with moronic grade trash. Durable, light, versatile was my guide-on.

Best part is a puny Honda 500-watt generator can generate precisely and exactly it's maximum possible potential by dialing back the voltage, either (A) or (B) Megawatt unit. I am going to connect this critter in-series to A HUNDRED WATT LIGHT BULB, meaning throttling input power to A HUNDRED WATTS TOTAL and see what kind of output I can get. Maybe three or four amps? Dunno...

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Well done... My Sears Crapsman 2/10/60amp weighs more than that and will only hold 60a for a few seconds before becoming uncomfortably warm.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed