cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The Official unofficial CPE 2000i Generator Thread

pritch272
Explorer
Explorer
8/1/2010 edit: Thread renamed at the suggestion of the Professor.
Renamed from: Champion Inverter and Remote Gens Promo on CPE's web site)

3/22/2011 edit: Thread renamed ...
Renamed from: Official CPE 2000 Watt Inverter Generator Thread

3/23/2011 edit: Thread renamed at the suggestion of the Professor.
Renamed from: (Un)Official CPE 2000 Watt Inverter Generator Thread

Inverter Available August 2010

Remote Available July 2010

2007 Keystone Laredo 29RL, 2000 Ford F250 7.3 PSD, Firestone bags, Pressure Pro, 16" Michelin XPS Ribs, MorRyde Pin Box, Dexter EZ-Flex, PI EMS-HW30C, Dirt Devil CV950 Central Vacuum, 2000W AllPower by Kipor, 4000/3500W Champion C46540
2,927 REPLIES 2,927

Old___Slow
Explorer
Explorer
byates wrote:
professor95 wrote:
#40Fan wrote:

Pulled the top unit off and found a small puddle of gas in the right front, top corner pocket of the lower unit.

Funny you should make this post today.

I learned today that there were a bunch of new units received in California from the factory in China that had the same problem. Before CPE Tech Support discovered the problem an unknown number (maybe 200?) were shipped out to suppliers and sold to customers. When they discovered the problem they began a process of replacing the petcock on several thousand new units still in the warehouse. A rather daunting task.

Anyway - CPE is aware of the problem and will gladly replace or repair any unit that has the leak you described. You apparently were the recipient of some of the bad units.

Tech support will most likely pick-up on your post but will have no idea who you are or how to contact you. I hope you will call them and report your problem so they will know what supplier or store may have units with a leaking petcock.

CummingsOnan had a similar situation last year involving 550 of their Chinese made units with potential fuel leaks. After 25 reported problems, CummingsOnan was a bit more proactive in that they voluntarily issued a recall alert in cooperation with the CPSC. CummingsOnan directly contacted affected consumers offering a full refund plus $100. CummingsOnan was able to quantify the number of potential hazardous units, with model/serial numbers and dates of manufacture.

What I find interesting is that the Recall Alert advises that it is illegal to sell or resell a recalled consumer product. By issuing the recall, CummingsOnan served their customers well with the notification of a potential safety hazard absorbing any associated cost.

Take what you will from this post, but it is factual.
http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/html/Common/pdf/recalls/recall-alert-052510.pdf

At the time of this posting I believed every word of all the above posts and do to this day.

Old___Slow
Explorer
Explorer
Old & Slow wrote:
BVW wrote:
Just bought a 'yellow' one in BC Canada:

1. powers a standard micro + fridge + inverter (any 2 of the 3) no prob.

2. only 'burps' when revving from econo.

3. it has a fuel leak in the bottom (not from filling).

Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks to all for all you do here!

This report of the leaking issue was posted some ago. How could CPE not be aware of the serious nature of the leaking problem? If '200 or so' of these leaking units got into the hands of buyers, sounds like a product liability issue for the factory. Some folks might not even know they have a problem or know of possible serious injury.

The leaking issue seems to be a real problem. I truly hope and pray owners of the Champion 2000i do not have a problem that may be unseen.

DennisCPE
Explorer
Explorer
#40fan. I have no idea of the personality or motivations of people that would post here. I could only go on the following info:
1) You are the only one with a leak.
2) The picture is not our O -ring.
3) We have a very tight run org that records every request, every product, every detail. Your request is not in our system.

With the above info I would draw a conclusion. Now that you have responded we have something to work with. Call the office next week and we can talk. Thanks

MrRchitty
Explorer
Explorer
I think I was trying to hit on the fact that communication break down can occur. Didn't mean to imply that you made it up. Just giving Denise credit for knowing his product. Perhaps my wording could have been different. Me, I gave up trying to get 400 Ms modules. I just run both together. Well.... keep us posted. I bet your experience will be different, now.
Randall J. Chittenden
CT
Fire/Medic
Former Auto Parts Sales 12 years

_40Fan
Explorer
Explorer
MrRchitty wrote:
DennisCPE wrote:
Hi all. I am currently vacationing at Bass Lake, CA and decided to catch up on this forum. I can say there is a lot of misinformation being posted here. I have listed below a few facts that you might be interested in:
1). The only report of a leaky petcock is the one posted here by #40C. ( by the way, we have no record of #40c calling into Champion.). I would like to speak to him personally if he will call into Champion. The picture he posted shows a misaligned petcock. I would guess it was cross threaded. It is possible this could have happened during assembly but every one of our units is run for 10 to 15 minutes so it is certainly strange that it was not caught by QC.
2). In over one year of production of this inverter we have no records of any leaky petcocks and never even replaced one. Of course we would issue a recall and notify the CPSC if ther was any leak problem.
3) The picture of the O-ring postednby #40C is not from a Champion inverter. So, with respect, his post is suspect. No phone call to Champion, which he indicates he did, and a fabricated photo. Please call me.
4) The petcock replacement that we are now conducting with two guys from our factory is because of a possible restriction caused by the swelling of a gasket when contacted with E10 ( the unsustainable fuel additive promoted by EPA - this is poison for ALL small engines and EQPA is now promoting E15)
5) Costco and Sams consider the 2000 W Inverter to be a Spring/Summer item. They will drop them for Fall Winter. Of course they are wrong, but I don't have the pencil.
6). My customer service team still loves ton take care of any issues with our product and they especially love to learn from you. Give them a call with any issues or questions you may have.

Denise,

I mean this with all due respect...
Is it remotely possible that this call was made and not reported properly? I don't know the size of your operation and it is certainly a serious claim. I believe you about your claim that it is not your gasket.

I had made a couple of phone calls a few months ago to question the overload situation which was a random thing. In an attempt to feather triggers on similar equipment to the professors and run a pancake compressor, they would run with the Little Champ and on occasion overload on start up.

If my memory serves me, I spoke with Adam. He was to forward my information to Paul Cole who was away. Next call I left a message on Mr. Coles VM.

No contact back.

I have since picked up a second Inverter Gennie to complete my set. Running the twins has been an absolute pleasure. I like how they work and would recommend them.

I was interested in upgrading the modules in hopes of elliminating the intermittant overload conditions on a single unit when running similar equipment.

However, for one reason or another, I was not called back. And let it be known that I have been assisted in the past without issue.

I am sure that if it was a fuel leak with potential of fire things would have been handled differently.

Really don't believe it was the actual gasket I pulled?

I have nothing to gain by purchasing two generators and then making up the fact that both petcocks leaked. I still own both. Neither have been returned. I haven't been bad mouthing CPE. Even convinced my BIL to purchase a unit for himself since this has happened.

Just no reason for me to make this up.
2013 Arctic Fox 22GQ
2011 Ram 2500 CC LB CTD G56 3.42 Mineral Gray

MrRchitty
Explorer
Explorer
avantidave wrote:
On Saturday I spotted the yellow and black version of these generators for sale at our local Sam's Club for $399 each. I will return to see if I can determine the build date somehow on the outside of the package.

I own a 5-year-old Honda eu2000i, but it seems to live mostly at my son's house where they have frequent power outages. It alternately powers the gas furnace blower motor, the kitchen refrigerator/freezer, the microwave, selected house lights and a 50" DLP HDTV. A generator-input AC circuit-switching panel is used to control which circuits are using generator power.

I am considering a pair of these CPE inverter generators, either for my RV use or for my son so I can have my Honda back.

I have had no issue with the twins. That is a GREAT deal.
Randall J. Chittenden
CT
Fire/Medic

_40Fan
Explorer
Explorer
DennisCPE wrote:
Hi all. I am currently vacationing at Bass Lake, CA and decided to catch up on this forum. I can say there is a lot of misinformation being posted here. I have listed below a few facts that you might be interested in:
1). The only report of a leaky petcock is the one posted here by #40C. ( by the way, we have no record of #40c calling into Champion.). I would like to speak to him personally if he will call into Champion. The picture he posted shows a misaligned petcock. I would guess it was cross threaded. It is possible this could have happened during assembly but every one of our units is run for 10 to 15 minutes so it is certainly strange that it was not caught by QC.
2). In over one year of production of this inverter we have no records of any leaky petcocks and never even replaced one. Of course we would issue a recall and notify the CPSC if ther was any leak problem.
3) The picture of the O-ring postednby #40C is not from a Champion inverter. So, with respect, his post is suspect. No phone call to Champion, which he indicates he did, and a fabricated photo. Please call me.
4) The petcock replacement that we are now conducting with two guys from our factory is because of a possible restriction caused by the swelling of a gasket when contacted with E10 ( the unsustainable fuel additive promoted by EPA - this is poison for ALL small engines and EQPA is now promoting E15)
5) Costco and Sams consider the 2000 W Inverter to be a Spring/Summer item. They will drop them for Fall Winter. Of course they are wrong, but I don't have the pencil.
6). My customer service team still loves ton take care of any issues with our product and they especially love to learn from you. Give them a call with any issues or questions you may have.

Do you have a Paul that works for you? I have his extension number written down at work if you need it to verify that is who was talked to.

The pictures I took were those of the unit while I was putting it back together. I didn't think of taking any pictures until after I had it apart. The petcock was not cross threaded, but the lower portion of the petcock below the nut did look slightly cocked before I took it apart. (Edit: Now that I look at the picture again it still looks cockeyed) The o-ring of the 2nd unit purchased, first to leak, was lost when I was looking for a replacement. It was pretty well fubared to begin with and required a pick to remove it.

The first unit purchased, second to leak, shows the exact o-ring that it had in it when I removed it. (I hope you aren't thinking that the green one was the one removed) If you would like to post a picture of the o-ring that you use, I would appreciate it.

Do you have a personal phone number that I can reach you directly?
2013 Arctic Fox 22GQ
2011 Ram 2500 CC LB CTD G56 3.42 Mineral Gray

avantidave
Explorer
Explorer
On Saturday I spotted the yellow and black version of these generators for sale at our local Sam's Club for $399 each. I will return to see if I can determine the build date somehow on the outside of the package.

I own a 5-year-old Honda eu2000i, but it seems to live mostly at my son's house where they have frequent power outages. It alternately powers the gas furnace blower motor, the kitchen refrigerator/freezer, the microwave, selected house lights and a 50" DLP HDTV. A generator-input AC circuit-switching panel is used to control which circuits are using generator power.

I am considering a pair of these CPE inverter generators, either for my RV use or for my son so I can have my Honda back.
Dave

MrRchitty
Explorer
Explorer
DennisCPE wrote:

Denise,

I mean this with all due respect...
Is it remotely possible that this call was made and not reported properly? I don't know the size of your operation and it is certainly a serious claim. I believe you about your claim that it is not your gasket.

I had made a couple of phone calls a few months ago to question the overload situation which was a random thing. In an attempt to feather triggers on similar equipment to the professors and run a pancake compressor, they would run with the Little Champ and on occasion overload on start up.

If my memory serves me, I spoke with Adam. He was to forward my information to Paul Cole who was away. Next call I left a message on Mr. Coles VM.

No contact back.

I have since picked up a second Inverter Gennie to complete my set. Running the twins has been an absolute pleasure. I like how they work and would recommend them.

I was interested in upgrading the modules in hopes of elliminating the intermittant overload conditions on a single unit when running similar equipment.

However, for one reason or another, I was not called back. And let it be known that I have been assisted in the past without issue.

I am sure that if it was a fuel leak with potential of fire things would have been handled differently.
Randall J. Chittenden
CT
Fire/Medic

DennisCPE
Explorer
Explorer

professor95
Explorer
Explorer
byates wrote:
professor95 wrote:
byates wrote:
If so, CPE should be congratulated in securing the temporary work visas for those Chinese factory workers. Requirements for entry into the US are pretty stringent. Prior to this, it appears CPE has only filed for the temporary work program twice, 2006 and 2008.

Not everyone at the factory in China needs a temporary work visa. Some of the engineers and techs are from our country and can come here any time they want or are needed.

If that's the case, then that would explain why I was unable to confirm any CPE filings for temporary work visas in 2011. I can only imagine the enormity of the task of replacing these petcocks.

What percent of the several thousand units were tested after replacement of the petcocks? Will CPE release the serial numbers and dates of manufacture of the affected units?

Why would any casual reader take the time to dig around for filings related to temporary work visas?

What is the purpose of these questions?

I am not an employee of CPE. I only shared something that I picked up, which was incorrectly understood and later corrected and apologized for. Like anyone else interested in these machines, I share what I can discover.

I have no clue what CPE intends to do, if anything. I can't imagine why any other action would be necessary.

My suggestion would be for you to call CPE directly and ask them your questions.
Professor Randy T. Agee & Nancy Agee. Also Oscar, the totally ruined Dachshund.
2009 Cedar Creek 5th Wheel - 2004 Volvo VNL670 class 8 MotorHome conversion as toter.
Turbocharged, 12L, 465 HP and 1,800 ft. Lbs. of torque.

Old___Slow
Explorer
Explorer
PrivatePilot wrote:
There are lots of companies out there that do these sort of refurb/rework jobs. It's very doubtful Champion did this job themselves.

Hey Mark (Private Pilot)

Went to your profile. I did check out your Blogs, adventures and more. They were all great and fun reading. Made my day and I would Fly with you, right seat, any day. You must remember, I started flying right seat at age 10, before moving left at age 11.

I agree with the above post. But, we have been told, all the container loads of Champion units are shipped direct from China to the various big box store distribution centers, not to California. Used to be they could not even ship you a replacement unit as they did not stock them. May be one reason they had a no return replacement policy. Maybe that has changed? So something went wrong somewhere or maybe Champion is now selling outside the (BBB) big box boys.

PrivatePilot
Explorer
Explorer
There are lots of companies out there that do these sort of refurb/rework jobs. It's very doubtful Champion did this job themselves.
30' Keystone Cougar 5'er, Triple Bunkhouse, SuperSlide.
Chevy 3500 1 Ton long box crew cab dually
6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4.11 Rears, LSD, Fresh rebuild spring 2012.
Dieselplace.com Staff Member

Our 2008 western adventure - to the coast and back!

Mark

byates
Explorer
Explorer
professor95 wrote:
byates wrote:
If so, CPE should be congratulated in securing the temporary work visas for those Chinese factory workers. Requirements for entry into the US are pretty stringent. Prior to this, it appears CPE has only filed for the temporary work program twice, 2006 and 2008.

Not everyone at the factory in China needs a temporary work visa. Some of the engineers and techs are from our country and can come here any time they want or are needed.

If that's the case, then that would explain why I was unable to confirm any CPE filings for temporary work visas in 2011. I can only imagine the enormity of the task of replacing these petcocks.

What percent of the several thousand units were tested after replacement of the petcocks? Will CPE release the serial numbers and dates of manufacture of the affected units?

Old___Slow
Explorer
Explorer
#40Fan wrote:
I know of three units purchased from this store in the last week. Two by me, and one other by my boss. Boss is out using his this weekend, and my first purchase was OK.

Knowing that this was a problem, I'll give them a call Monday.

BTW, all three gens had a birthday of 12/2010.

Scary part of this, is that the fuel drips down on the wiring coming from the front panel, travels down the wiring and drips on the main board. What falls from the petcock drips onto a relay. Could lead to an easy fire situation in a hurry.

What would be the process for owners to inspect for this leaking. Could be serious if left to continue leaking. Did CPE offer replacement parts or the common RMA with free shipping and a new unit to be shipped to replace the leaking unit. If this is discovered after the returm to store date. What then?