cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The Official unofficial CPE 2000i Generator Thread

pritch272
Explorer
Explorer
8/1/2010 edit: Thread renamed at the suggestion of the Professor.
Renamed from: Champion Inverter and Remote Gens Promo on CPE's web site)

3/22/2011 edit: Thread renamed ...
Renamed from: Official CPE 2000 Watt Inverter Generator Thread

3/23/2011 edit: Thread renamed at the suggestion of the Professor.
Renamed from: (Un)Official CPE 2000 Watt Inverter Generator Thread

Inverter Available August 2010

Remote Available July 2010

2007 Keystone Laredo 29RL, 2000 Ford F250 7.3 PSD, Firestone bags, Pressure Pro, 16" Michelin XPS Ribs, MorRyde Pin Box, Dexter EZ-Flex, PI EMS-HW30C, Dirt Devil CV950 Central Vacuum, 2000W AllPower by Kipor, 4000/3500W Champion C46540
2,927 REPLIES 2,927

MrRchitty
Explorer
Explorer
Professor, it's good to see you back. I am glad you faired the storm well. We were without power here in many parts of Connecticut for around 5 days. Give or take a day or two. I had great luck with the 2000i and my 3500 open synch. I did have the module replaced in an attempt to address the skipping issue. One thing for sure... I am starting my skill saw everytime with eco off without issue. My pancake compressor without issue everytime. During the power outage, I was seeing 8.5 to 9 hours of use with a gallon of gasoline. I was running two refridgerators and alternating the freezer. I was leaving several lights on. Making Keureg Coffees during the morning hours. I started with the pair and dropped to 1 and then back to my open synch modified with the 220 volt. After which I was loaning out the 2000i's to friends and neighbors. My wife, unknown that I was running 1 2000i to operated 2 fridge's, she decided to vacuum the house. All without issue.

I will follow your lead and work on the idle screw. I did take the carb bowel off and the air intake tube and sprayed carb cleaner. I have not had a chance to run and babysit to see if the occasional skip has gone away or decreased. With recent travel to the White Mountains in NH after the storm, I've been busy.

I have had issue with the air conditioner on the TT (13500) causing overload. I have been metering on shore and open synch with the clamp meter set to retrieve max load and have not seen a load greater than 13.6. However, I have gotten a max load of 35 amps on the paired 2000i's. This is of course, after the ac has started and I set the temp to 50 degrees so it is not cycling.

Anyway, it is good to see you posting as well as others in an attempt to solve the issue. CS at CPE has been good. Adam has helped me out at CPE.
Randall J. Chittenden
CT
Fire/Medic
Former Auto Parts Sales 12 years

Dan2009
Explorer
Explorer
I just returned from a week plus of dry camping at Newaygo State Park in Michigan. This was my first real test of the Champion inverter generator, and it performed as well as I'd hoped.

I ran it daily to keep the battery charged, and let my son play his X-Box several hours a day.

The biggest test was when I used it to power the microwave. I turned off all the AC breakers except the main and microwave just to avoid unintentional trips and it ran well enough to let me nuke our lunches one day. The microwave seemed to run at a lower voltage, but the food came out hot. The generator was able to support the load for 3 minutes or more. This while economy mode was enabled too.

The neighbor across the way from me was impressed with the quietness of the generator as well and said he might look in to getting one too.

I did notice the idle would skip around a little bit, but I'm pretty sure that was due to changes in the load. When I ran the generator without a load back home, the idle was constant. I think the generator is just a little sensitive to changes in load, and Professor's suggestion of bumping up the idle speed might take care of this.

I hope this helps!
-Dan
2001 F250 SuperCab V10
2005 Keystone Laredo 28GR
3500W Champion
2000W Champion Inverter 73531i

professor95
Explorer
Explorer
We spent 4-1/2 days without power in the aftermath of Irene. Actually, I was surprised we were restored so quickly. Living in a rural area at the end of a power line we expected at least a week โ€“ maybe more.

One of my 2000i units did start burping during the recent power outage. Previously, I did not have the irritation.

After studying the symptom and why it was possibly occurring I came up with a fix that appears to work quite well with no negative effects.

Let me explain:

The throttle plate for the carburetor is positioned by a stepper motor. The stepper motor position is determined by the ECM based on data from the current sensing circuit and the engine RPM sensor. There is no Throttle Position Sensor on the carburetor to provide actual position โ€“ everything is based on current being drawn and engine RPM.

With the side of the case off (oil change side) you can reach in and feel as small amount of play in the throttle valve plate. There is enough play there for the throttle plate to move from vibration.

If you turn the low speed stop screw between 1/4 and 1/2 turn you will slightly increase the engine idle speed. When I say slight I do mean slight โ€“ maybe 100 rpm. The genset does not get louder.

What happens is this increased idle speed is just enough to keep the ECM from sensing a RPM drop that needs correction.

I know the engineers at CPE have approached the problem with reprogrammed ECM units, which apparently lower the โ€œbumpโ€ thresholdโ€. We also have user reports of different main jets being offered to increase the mixture richness under the assumption the burp is cause by inadequate fuel. These methods may indeed be the proper design approach, but for me a turn of a screw and a few more low speed rpmโ€™s not only ridded the unit of โ€œThe Burpโ€ but also allowed better pick-up from low speed to high speed when current increased.

You can access the carb idle stop screw easily if you are willing to drill a 3/8โ€ hole through the inner plastic piece. You can see from the photo where the hole is and how a #1 Phillips screwdriver will fit in and align perfectly with the head of the screw. Nothing is hurt and the setting is made in seconds.

My thumb is on the stepper motor. Straight down under my thumb (about 1") you can see the idle stop screw which sets the lowest idle speed. This photo was made on a unit with the entire case removed. Therefore, the plastic obstruction is not in the way as the below photos show with the case on.

The hole is drilled so you can poke a Phillips head screwdriver in at an angle that allows adjusting the idle stop screw without disassembling the case..

Screwdriver poked in with tip on screw head.

Another mod I have made is to leave the oil check side panel screws off and store them. In their place, I use four pieces of Velcro so that you can quickly zip the cover off without tools and check the oil (or adjust the idle screw)

Both 2000i units were run over 100 hours each during the recent power outage.
They ran RV battery chargers, small microwaves, 6,000 BTU window air conditioners, freezers, refrigerators, TVโ€™s and lights, sump pumps and coffee pots. Not one Hiccup or complaint. My unit #1 powered a 6,000 BTU air conditioner from 10:00 p.m. until 6:30 a.m. on a full one-gallon tank of gas. That is a full 8-1/2 hours โ€“ a number than impressed me.

We moved into the RV on day 2. This is one of the 2000i units running the camper through the main power connector.

The other 2000i provided additional power to a freezer so the 7500 could be dedicated to the well pump, sump pump,etc.

I know the guy at Samโ€™s that manages sales of generators and tools. He knows how to contact me if needed. One unit he sold was returned for exchange with the customer saying it would not work. But, since inventory was sold out an exchange was not possible. Brad called me asking if I would talk to the gentleman. We started with gas, oil, fuel on, load disconnected, ECON off, use of choke, fuel cap vent set to on and the Power switch turned on. It was at that point where he stopped me askingโ€, Power Switch turned on โ€“ what power switch?โ€

The power switch was off and he was so frustrated that he had overlooked it when racing through the manual. As soon as he turned on the power switch the genny ran fine, I often wonder how many returns are really defective? Anyway, they sold the three 2000i units that were in the store and a shipment of 50 received Friday before the storm and sold out in less than his two hour morning shift. There have been no more phone calls for help, so folks must be reading the manual.

I received a call from a guy that had purchased a 3,500 from Tractor Supply. He called me complaining that it was not running smoothly and the voltage was all over the place. We were only a few miles apart so he brought the genny to me. The first problem was one of his well intentioned buddies told him to put a quart of ATF in the first tank of gas to provide lubrication for break-in. I used my little portable electric fuel pump and hose to empty the ATF contaminated gas and replaced it with new gas. When I turned the petcock on he said, โ€œWhatโ€™s that thing?โ€ He never had the fuel flow completely turned on - it was in a position that only allowed a dribble of fuel to the carburetor.

I too have one of the little CPE 1200/1500 synchronous gensets. It is a tough little bugger and kept the refrigerator running at our oldest daughterโ€™s house for four days and nights. I did measure the sound level on the unit a while back and it was 4-5 dba louder than the 2000i with the same load. As great as the little 1200/1500 is the output waveform is pretty nasty compared to the clean output of the 2000i. Fortunately, 99% of the stuff we plug into the 1200/1500 does not care that the waveform is not a pure, clean sine wave so it becomes an out of sight โ€“ out of mind issue.
Professor Randy T. Agee & Nancy Agee. Also Oscar, the totally ruined Dachshund.
2009 Cedar Creek 5th Wheel - 2004 Volvo VNL670 class 8 MotorHome conversion as toter.
Turbocharged, 12L, 465 HP and 1,800 ft. Lbs. of torque.

Hybridhunter
Explorer
Explorer
DSchmidt_2000 wrote:
Thanks for the feedback Hybridhunter.
What kind of mat were you using? (rubber, natural fiber?)

Question on the voltage dropping - would it stay down even when the RPM's caught back up? If so you might be shortening the life of the windings as you're overloading the generator portion.

Good review.

I was throwing a thick area mat over it, but I tried a rubber backed synthetic doormat ( WALMART special...), and it had the same effect. Not to mention, no worries about rain.

As for the voltage/ rpm sag... It would return to 118 volts @ 59.8 hertz.
Just the normal hard hitting current load catch-up. ๐Ÿ™‚

DSchmidt_2000
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the feedback Hybridhunter.
What kind of mat were you using? (rubber, natural fiber?)

Today was my monthly running of my Yamaha EF2000is. It's not as quiet as I would like but then again this is on concrete, next to the garage, cars, etc. Lots of surfaces to reflect noise. Certainly wouldn't want to run it 24/7 in a residential tract when SHTF. Might try a tarp on it.

Question on the voltage dropping - would it stay down even when the RPM's caught back up? If so you might be shortening the life of the windings as you're overloading the generator portion.

Good review.

Hybridhunter
Explorer
Explorer
So I had the parents out to the acreage where we all boondocked, hauled water, the whole deal for 4 days! This was the first time my dad had dry camped with the 2000i being the sole source of power for more than 1 day, we compared my 1200 / 1500 watt (model 42431) open frame CPE, to his 2000i here are some observations....

-I had a heavy mat draped on my 42431, and at no point was my draped 42431 as obtrusive as his undraped 2000i, my mom and dad commented on this a number of times.

-The 2000i ran his micro, even on eco, no problem, as long as either his battery was almost fully charged, or he would have to shut off his converter. FWIW - My 42431 ran his micro with some laboring, but interestingly, mine ran his converter and micro, without tripping stalling or overloading. Output voltage drooped as low as 105 volts, the 2000i just overloaded, end of story.

-With his battery at less than 50% SOC, he could not run his toaster oven, or his micro with the converter on. He did not have the converter startup / overload that I had when he was just starting a depleted battery charge, but he has a 15' run of what looks like 10ga to his single grp 24 battery.

-My 42431 ran just shy of 11 hours while charging my rig through the converter, same as my 2000i, apples to apples. My dad never got 10 hours to a tank of fuel, but he was running bigger loads.

-And the big news, that was the make or break deal... Plugging in the converter with a discharged battery. Plugging in it would the voltage and RPM would sag, down to about 105 volts, and labor it's way back up to 120 volts. It was full load and would take around 5 seconds to reach full RPM.

If the 2000i and the 42431 cost the same, I would, (and did) spring for the 1200/1500 watt open frame model and a thick floormat. It uses the same amount of fuel, makes no more noise (verified through 15 hours of side by side operation). The 2000i stood out because of its revving, farting, and burping. The 42431 blended as background noise, running the same tenor, less blating, and the same RPM all the time.
Here's the deal, as I see it, at $174 shipped, all in, it not only cost less than half as much, but it does everything, no problems, overloads, or shutdowns.

So the punch line of my highjack, is that I was completely impressed, nothing but happy with the new gen, that never overloaded or stalled even once. My dad was a little baffled / frustrated at the overloads, and the high rpm racket, but he was overall content, but I know where his money would have gone had he not kept the 2000i.

Happy camping.

Old___Slow
Explorer
Explorer
rchnsgl wrote:
I have been an avid reader of this forum as well as an owner of Champion Power Equipment models since their introduction. First I would like to say that they are probably one of the finest companies to import generators from China. They have yet to fail me, my family and many friends that may have needed technical assistance , spare parts etc. I guess you could say i am a Champion voter if it was a political party.
Second, I would like to know why forum contributors such as Byates and Old and Slow have it out for Champion. My understanding is that Byates doesn't even own a Champion generator product, so why is he such an expert on something he has no first hand experience with? Old and Slow has an early Champion that is at least 5 yrs. old and is stuck in the Dark Ages of ownership at best! As you can tell, they do not get my vote for any contribution they have and probably will continue. Most likely they will get the message from the thousands of satisfied users to keep it to themselves unless they have something nice to say. Obviously, they have more time than anyone else to research the internet. They must have terrorized libraries before the internet. I hope they feel good about all the negative comments they have contributed to the readers of rv.net. They will never get my vote of confidence and i'm sure i am not alone.

Enough said, I am going back to my yellow happiness and listen to them hum along! Have a good life BY and O&S! May the Forum Administrator remove all your future posts with negative comments.Constructive criticism is usually a welcome part of this forum. Start something new and say something nice for a change. Your life can't possibly be that boring or is it?

I only speak for myself in this post. In the many years of posting on RV.Net I don't think I have ever read such lack of decorum as is contained in the above post. The word Terrorized? And other statements also.

The wording in the above post denotes anger about something I personally do not understand. At nearly 78 years of age, I will gladly move over in the right lane and give way to the more speedy and knowledgeable. As for Champion, I have posted hundreds of positive statements to their account, for equipment and CS. For me, the jury is still out on the newer Champion 2000i. I have never said, in the future, I would never buy that model. My best hopes are for the owners of the Champion 2000i. May God bless you All.

Floyd

PS: This is the internet and I do believe 'byates' has all rights to search for all information that might be available.

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
I love that Sea Foam, saved my rear more than once.
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

MrRchitty
Explorer
Explorer
MnDuckBoatguy wrote:
Just a quick note,
My issue of one unit "hunting" or reving and "unreving" while at idle was resolved by opening the service access, unscrewing the carb drain to let the gas out of the bowl and then w a #10mm open end removing the bowl and bolt from the bottom of the carb, then proceeding to spray the insides with carb cleaner. reassemble and presto, no more hunting at econ or regular mode.

PS if you are not a mechanic, nor am I , the tech support will walk you through this fix over the phone.

Thank you. We are on our way back from the White Mountains in New Hampshire. I'll give that a shot.

Through Hurricane Irene, I was without power for 5 days and overall the performance of my Champion 2000I generators was perfect. Include my open synch 3500 by Champion (which was rewired temporarily to give me 220 volts for the well pump) functioned perfectly. By the way, 3500 watt would be the bare minimum you could use to handle the surge.
Randall J. Chittenden
CT
Fire/Medic
Former Auto Parts Sales 12 years

-_dwh_-
Explorer
Explorer
zedd wrote:
A hefty dose of Sea Foam seems to have cured mine.

I toss in a capful of Sea Foam every 50 hours or so just from habit. Great stuff, use it in my truck too.

zedd
Explorer
Explorer
A hefty dose of Sea Foam seems to have cured mine.
2008 Ford F250 Super Duty, Lariat, 6.4l PSD, Super Cab. Long Bed
2006 Jayco Jay Flight 27.5 RLS Fifth Wheel

MnDuckBoatguy
Explorer
Explorer
Just a quick note,
My issue of one unit "hunting" or reving and "unreving" while at idle was resolved by opening the service access, unscrewing the carb drain to let the gas out of the bowl and then w a #10mm open end removing the bowl and bolt from the bottom of the carb, then proceeding to spray the insides with carb cleaner. reassemble and presto, no more hunting at econ or regular mode.

PS if you are not a mechanic, nor am I , the tech support will walk you through this fix over the phone.
1997 Dodge 8.0L 3.54 2500 3xtra leafs
2006 Denali 28LBBS-M5:15,000ac, half-time convection
Assorted Duck boats
2 CPE2000i Parallel
Dear Wife, 4 boys, 1 girl,Black Lab

Oletop
Explorer
Explorer
I have often thought the same thing. I just skip over their posts. It is not hard to tell that they enjoy giving negative feedback on something that htey do not even own. So you fellas can post as you may, but I am pretty sure no one really listens to your so called knowledege on this product.

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
Well said rchnsgl.
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

PrivatePilot
Explorer
Explorer
Champion power equipment and the company that makes Champion spark plugs are not related.
30' Keystone Cougar 5'er, Triple Bunkhouse, SuperSlide.
Chevy 3500 1 Ton long box crew cab dually
6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4.11 Rears, LSD, Fresh rebuild spring 2012.
Dieselplace.com Staff Member

Our 2008 western adventure - to the coast and back!

Mark