Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

this is why

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Folks,

This is why Li batteries are not a good fit for me.

https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/sk-32_metric_e.html

-40 on Wednesday night.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.
110 REPLIES 110

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
PerryB67 wrote:
RetiredRealtorRick wrote:
So, don't move to Florida.

No need to go on. I see your point. Minnesota is way better. Maybe it has something to do with the months-on-end that it's just too dang cold, snowy, and icy to go out and commit a crime or drive somewhere! LOL

I'll stay right here.
I'm glad you finally see the point.

When you live in Florida and don't understand why others live where they do, expect those who live elsewhere to explain with facts why they chose to live where they live. Plus, we happen to enjoy the distinct seasons.

And by the way, we live in a karst topography, the only area in Minnesota with no mosquitoes! :B

Enjoy,

Perry

Well, I really don't fully see the point. I lived in Michigan for 20 years. Also 5 other states, then ultimately Florida, so I fully understand what it's like to live in different places, with different climates, and four distinct seasons. I just happen to hate freezing cold winters, ice on the ground, brown grass, and trees without leaves . . . . just a personal choice.

Notice that, other than the crazy cold weather, I didn't slam Minnesota.

Congrats on the no mosquitos thing, but of course under 50 degrees fahrenheit no place I know of (other than parts of Alaska) have mosquito issues any way.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Well in Nevada, a chambered 9 in the front seat is a legal and effective means of preventing hijackings and encouraging good mannersโ€ฆ

3 tons

PerryB67
Explorer
Explorer

No need to go on. I see your point. Minnesota is way better. Maybe it has something to do with the months-on-end that it's just too dang cold, snowy, and icy to go out and commit a crime or drive somewhere! LOL

I'll stay right here.
I'm glad you finally see the point.

When you live in Florida and don't understand why others live where they do, expect those who live elsewhere to explain with facts why they chose to live where they live. Plus, we happen to enjoy the distinct seasons.

And by the way, we live in a karst topography, the only area in Minnesota with no mosquitoes! :B

Enjoy,

Perry
2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
2019 F150 Max Tow, Max Springs, 3.5 EB Quad Cab
Victron 712, Victron 100/20, Victron 100/30
160 Watts on the Roof, 100 watt portable
Two 100 ah SOK LFP Batteries

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
PerryB67 wrote:
Florida ranks 27th of all the states in murder rate, so I don't see it as a 'Florida' problem.

I do see it as a US problem, because you're comparing US homicides to Canadian homicides, and as we all know the two countries have vastly different gun laws.

I'll be out on the boat this afternoon if you need me :C
Using the Homicide Mortality Rates Florida is 5.8 whereas Minnesota is 2.7. or less than half of Florida's rate.

Then there is the Auto Accident Death Rate. Florida is 14.8 but Minnesota's is only 6.5. I could go on and on.

Enjoy,

Perry

I'll stay right here.

For those who think that there is not a lot of RV action in colder parts of Canada, all one has to do is drive around and observe.

Take one cold winter location for example: Calgary. We see temperatures frequently in the upper minus 20's and lower 30's C. Sometimes more extreme. Short as they may be, our summers are blistering hot. Our igloos melt and we have to build straw huts.... :W:W

Take a drive around the outer city areas and down any highway. There is storage yard after storage yard after storage yard, everywhere you go. Thousands and many more thousands of RV's stored everywhere you look.
It's most likely the same for any major city, such as Regina.

My work takes me all over the map, so I not only see this, but I also see lots of them on the road in all kinds of cold adverse weather. We have a few unserviced locations that are accessible year round, some with power only for obvious reasons.

The point is there are many considerations to be out winter camping and batteries are one of them. We have to consider the effects of cold and what will give us optimum service when it is well below freezing.
Some types of batteries are just not well suited for extreme cold. My GC2's last all winter, outside in the RV. They will still function, run out the slide in any weather.

We are not talking Florida here where you don't get real winter. It's about making it work in cold parts of Canada.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

PerryB67
Explorer
Explorer
Florida ranks 27th of all the states in murder rate, so I don't see it as a 'Florida' problem.

I do see it as a US problem, because you're comparing US homicides to Canadian homicides, and as we all know the two countries have vastly different gun laws.

Using the Homicide Mortality Rates Florida is 5.8 whereas Minnesota is 2.7. or less than half of Florida's rate.

Then there is the Auto Accident Death Rate. Florida is 14.8 but Minnesota's is only 6.5. I could go on and on.

Enjoy,

Perry
2016 Bigfoot 25RQ

PerryB67
Explorer
Explorer
Can't delete duplicate posts.
2016 Bigfoot 25RQ

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
PerryB67 wrote:
Average age in Florida is 42. Where in the world did you get your information?

Mold & mildew? Sure, just like any other coastal area. Once it gets out of control, I'll be concerned.

Oppressive humidity? Maybe to some who aren't used to it. Much like oppressive cold (such as the current temperature of -11F in Lanesboro, MN as I write this :E)

And murders?? In Florida? Seriously? Nowhere else, eh?

OK, OK, we get it. You don't like Florida. So noted.
Sorry, I meant "life span".

Yes, mold and mildew are problems for people and one of the reasons I and many others don't live in the coastal states. The "oppressive humidity" is the reason for the mold and mildew problems.

Florida's population is around 22 million and in 2020 they had 1,285 murders or 58 murders per million. Canada's entire population is 38 million and in 2020 there were 743 murders or 19 murders per million.

I chose not to live in Florida because of many, many reasons, safety, health, and lifespan being a few.

Yesterday I walked about 3 miles and today I'll go out in our winter weather to walk another 2-5 miles. It's beautiful and peaceful in the Lanesboro/Root River Valley where we live. I actually enjoy winter, but now we have the ability and discretionary money to winter in NM, AZ, and UT, where last year we hiked 107 miles and rode bike for another 425 miles.

Enjoy,

Perry

PerryB67
Explorer
Explorer
Duplicate message erased.
2016 Bigfoot 25RQ

PerryB67
Explorer
Explorer

Mold & mildew? Sure, just like any other coastal area. Once it gets out of control, I'll be concerned.

Oppressive humidity? Maybe to some who aren't used to it. Much like oppressive cold (such as the current temperature of -11F in Lanesboro, MN as I write this :E)

Sorry, I meant "lifespan". I've corrected my previous post.

Yes, mold and mildew are problems for people and one of the reasons I and many others don't live in the coastal states. The "oppressive humidity" is the reason for the mold and mildew problems.

Florida's population is around 22 million and in 2020 they had 1,285 murders or 58 murders per million. Canada's entire population is 38 million and in 2020 there were 743 murders or 19 murders per million.

I chose not to live in Florida because of many, many reasons, safety, health, and lifespan being a few.

Yesterday I walked about 3 miles and today I'll go out in our winter weather to walk another 2-5 miles. It's beautiful and peaceful in the Lanesboro/Root River Valley where we live. I actually enjoy winter, but now we have the ability and discretionary money to winter in NM, AZ, and UT, where last year we hiked 107 miles and rode bike for another 425 miles.

Enjoy,

Perry
2016 Bigfoot 25RQ

PerryB67
Explorer
Explorer
StirCrazy wrote:
because around 50% of people from BC live in vancouver or victoruia where any temp below 36 degrees is a rarity. so they don't have the stifiling heat of florida or the cold of anywhere else in canada. summers are mild so less skin cancer and so on..
I suggest you look at where Ontario is on the map. In fact, take a look at the Canadian provinces.

Enjoy,

Perry
2016 Bigfoot 25RQ

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
PerryB67 wrote:
I guess to each his own, but nobody will ever convince me that such frigid cold temperatures are harmless.
Florida? Mold, mildew, oppressive humidity, hurricanes, murders, are some of Florida's noted characteristics. The average age in Florida is 78.9 years. The average age in British Columbia is 82.1 years or Ontario at 82.4 years, eh.

Enjoy,

Perry
Minnesota

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
StirCrazy wrote:
your talking about one or two geographical areas which is why there is a higher concentration of people there, but drive through toronto, vancouver and thoes types of places and how many rv's do you see in the yards, not many compared to other areas. the largest geographical area of canad will very often see -30 or -35 in the winter..

No one lives in the largest geographical area of Canada.

I think something like 95% of the Canadian population lives within 100miles of the US border.

I see lots of RVs in Toronto. Camping if very popular there.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Free Radical,

Thanks for posting the link,

The Tesla has a few advantages such as 82 kwh of storage! How lovely that would be.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
How about making insulated box from rigid foam and puting batteries in that?
Should keep it warm enough to work.

Eventualy with EV trucks camping in winter will be no problem.

Sleeping in Tesla in winter minus 26

https://youtu.be/VPudpniOmxY