cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tioga Won't Budge after long neglect. Help, please.

211Racing
Explorer
Explorer
Wife did something sweet but silly to help out a friend. Bought her 2002 Tioga 24d. Base is a Ford e350 Super Duty van. Apparently it has not been started or moved in over a year. (I'll post about my starting questions in another post.) Here I'd like to know why it won't budge. It will run for a few brief seconds on starting fluid, when I get it into neutral. Today I did put a tow strap between the RV and my 4Runner to try to move the RV a little before the tow truck comes tomorrow. Pulled gently until the T4R wheels spun. RV was unmoved. What am I looking at? The parking brake did not seem to be engaged, but was very stiff until I worked the pedal and then the release several dozen times. Do the brakes rust/freeze-shut on these things? Do I need to get it running somehow (fuel directly into fuel rail) to bring it to life? Would really like to have a game plan before the tow shows up. Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge.
36 REPLIES 36

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
DancinCampers wrote:
My 2006 Jeep Liberty, 4 wheel disc brakes, had shoes in the rear drum assembly for parking brake. Sometimes reversing direction will free drum brakes.

I second that - doesn't cost anything and might work.
Kevin

DancinCampers
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 2006 Jeep Liberty, 4 wheel disc brakes, had shoes in the rear drum assembly for parking brake. Sometimes reversing direction will free drum brakes.
Dan & Sharon (Kasey, Our Yorkie, RIP 9Jan'05-26Jul'17)
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M
2020 Chevy Equinox, Blue Ox Aventa II, Air Force One

If You Obey All The Rules, You Miss All The Fun

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Beverley&Ken wrote:
There's a good possibility that your brakes are 'seized' or badly rusted. Service brakes or parking brake. You may have released the parking brake pedal, but the actual brake may still be on. Also the service brake rotors, pads could be badly rusted.
The extra power and traction from the tow truck may be enough to free them up to be towed. When you get it home, time for a good inspection of all.

Ken

I will double that Now if the "Service" Brakes are disc type they are likely ok but the parking brake is likely a drum type on the drive shaft just aft of the transmission... That's where I'd start.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the brakes are rusted after sitting for a year, Iโ€™d hate to know what else is that badly rusted under there!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Oregun
Nomad
Nomad
Parking brakes will sometimes freeze up if they sit for long period of time. Maybe the gas in the tank has gone stale.

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
There's a good possibility that your brakes are 'seized' or badly rusted. Service brakes or parking brake. You may have released the parking brake pedal, but the actual brake may still be on. Also the service brake rotors, pads could be badly rusted.
The extra power and traction from the tow truck may be enough to free them up to be towed. When you get it home, time for a good inspection of all.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lift a wheel. Will it spin? Repeat all four corners. Block your wheels carefully!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad