cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tires

Hemling
Explorer
Explorer
I've got about 10,000 miles on my original 'D' rated trailer tires. On a -10,000 lb. 37' TT. I've always followed the 10% rule on my truck tires - inflate cold to 90% of max PSI to allow for heating on the road while towing. I like to run my trailer tires a little lower though - I put them about 45 psi (65 max) because I feel like it cushions the rough roads a bit better. I might be leaving a little MPG on the table with higher rolling resistance, but does anyone else do this? Or am I full of it. Should I just max all my pressures out and say to he!! with it?
10 REPLIES 10

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Latner wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
guidry wrote:
Definitely upgrade the load rating tires and always inflate to max PSI. That rating allows for heat. Under and over inflation leads to tire failure.

BAD advice!

Please explain. I have run max psi on three different trailers, all of them with "china bombs" and have not had one blowout or even a flat. Lucky I guess?

Going up in load range per GY Tech use load inflation chart and add 5psi.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
guidry wrote:
Definitely upgrade the load rating tires and always inflate to max PSI. That rating allows for heat. Under and over inflation leads to tire failure.

Great advise for many reasons rvtiresafety....tire experts.....rv blogs on tires.... talks about.
Like Michelin says;
max performance...
and max reliability...
comes at max pressures.

Now if the trailer was over tired severally then max pressures aren't needed.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Latner
Nomad
Nomad
Cummins12V98 wrote:
guidry wrote:

BAD advice!

Please explain. I have run max psi on three different trailers, all of them with "china bombs" and have not had one blowout or even a flat. Lucky I guess?

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
guidry wrote:

BAD advice!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Explorer II
Explorer II
I use to inflate my load D rated tires to the 65psi max. But then I upgraded from D to E. The CAT scale says I have 7460lb load on my 4 tires. I ride slightly nose high, so the rear pair may carry a little more burden. According to my tires load/inflation table below, I should be inflating mine to 45psi. The max is 80psi. I have found 65lbs on the E tires a nice, smooth ride.

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
I dropped the ST junk tires and switched to light truck tires.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

8ntw8tn
Explorer
Explorer
guidry wrote:

X2. There's a website, rvtiresafety.net, by Roger Marble, a retired tire engineer. He explains things much better than I'm able, but comes to the conclusions offered above.
'08 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax;
'10 Carriage Cameo F35FWS
Det 1 56th SOWg

guidry
Explorer
Explorer

Hemling
Explorer
Explorer
That's the plan. They're wearing out fast so not too long.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
What you should do is dump those "D" rated tires and get a set of "E"'s. Run them up to 70psi and not worry about anything.