cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Toad charging line

Teeshot1939
Explorer
Explorer
Need advice/guidance/instructions on installing a battery charging line from my Class A to my Honda CR-V....thanks.
6 REPLIES 6

Kamphiker
Explorer
Explorer
2009 CRV I added a Toad Charge http://www.lslproducts.net/ToadChargePage.html

Winnebago was already wired with 7 way Connector. Incorporated the charge wire to the Toad Charge along with the proper wring for the Brake Buddy.

EDIT: wow, I just checked current list price.. I paid around $ 50.00 10 years ago.
2006 Winnebago Outlook WF324V
2009 Honda CR-V 2wd TOAD ......Campgrounds in the Smoky Mountains NP
Last Camping trip ->2011 SUMMER SMOKY MOUNTAINS NATIONAL PARK

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer

I need to add the extra wire to my TOAD to charge the Jeep's battery when I'm towing it. The RoadMaster Even Brake system has an onboard air compressor, which continues to draw power each time the brakes are activated.

On our last trip, I got a warning message on the Even Brake monitor, indicating the vehicle's battery voltage was getting low.

Pin 4 is the charge line. Connect that wire to the TOAD's battery, put in an inline fuse at the battery. The Class A will already have a fuse to protect the wiring to the 7 pin connector. But your Honda won't have one it its end if the connector shorts out when disconnected. I never connect anything to a battery without a fuse!
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
Does your coach have a 7-blade plug currently ? If so, there should already be a 12v source at the plug. I "assume" your CRV has a 4-flat plug for the lights ? If so, just change the plug on the CRV to a 6-round connector with the black wire pin connected to the positive battery post, add a fuse or circuit breaker to the line. You can buy a coiled connector to go from coach to toad with 7-flat to 6-round just for this purpose. E-Trailer is a great resource and has all the parts for this.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
I put a charge line on my 06 CRV when I set it up for towing. Couple of times the wire worked loose in the connector, and yes, the toad was dead at the end of the day.
Once I fixed that, trouble free. 40k miles of towing it.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
My 04 CRV didn't need a charge line but as a matter of principal I added one after a few years. Newer CRVs with more electronics need a charge line.

A 4 wire cable provides tail lights, turn signals and a ground. 6 wires gives you a charge line and a spare wire. My spare wire was connected from the toad brake lights to a cab light so that I knew when the toad brakes were applied.

If your MH doesn't have a charge line then you can add one from the ignition to the cable connector and then on back to the toad.

My current Jeep doesn't have or need a charge line. However, as a matter of principle I'll probably add one.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve towed my cr-v 90,000 over 15 years with my DP with no charge line.
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer