cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trouble keeping my cool!

Teeshot1939
Explorer
Explorer
2011 Itasca Ellipse 42QD with 3 A/C units. Currently in Florida with 85-90 degree weather for the past few weeks. I noticed that 1 of the 3 A/C drain hoses was not draining any water. The other 2 are draining like a dripping faucet. Determined that the non-draining hose is from the middle A/C. Read that a non-draining hose may indicate blocked drain line which would result in water run-off on roof. Got on roof and determined there is no water run off. Ran each A/C individually by shutting off circuit breaker for the other 2. Middle A/C produces slightly cool air but much warmer than the other two. Also noted that compressor does kick in but takes 30-45 seconds versus 10-15 seconds like the other two. Each A/C draws about 15 amps when running. Any ideas or suggestions?
8 REPLIES 8

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
2oldman wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
Are you on 50 amp service.
You could have 3 airs on a 30a coach?

NO, I was indicating he may be on 30 amp service or CHEATED 50 amp service, which would cause the EMS system to NOT allow all the compressors to come on. Cheated 50 amp service uses 1- 50 amp breaker jumped across the 2 hot legs which some EMS systems will rightly operate as 30 amp service. If on Cheated 50 amp service the inside EMS display panel will indicate 30 amp service. Doug

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
dougrainer wrote:
Are you on 50 amp service.
You could have 3 airs on a 30a coach?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
At nine years I would just replace that middle unit. (assuming you follow Doug's advice to determine the issue is not something else)

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
How are you determining the amp draw? From the onboard EMS system? If so, that is pretty accurate. Are you on 50 amp service. I ask, because some EMS systems will shut down the compressor(fan stays running) when you pull more amps than can be supplied(30 amp service). If you pull 15 amps, that indicates the AC units are fully charged. I assume since you have the Drain hoses, you have RVP/Coleman AC units. Since you have RVP units, each unit has a water drain pump to pump the condensation out the drain lines. When the Drain system fails(clogged or the pump fails), then the water comes off the roof. I would suspect that in the past 10 years 1 or more of the AC units has been replaced or pulled for some service work. Inept Service Technicians usually FORGET to install the Divider GASKET that separates the Intake from the exhaust when replacing the upper unit on a top mounted bolt down unit. This will result in a severe lack of cold air volume into the roof AC ductwork and will cause the Freeze sensor to trip prematurely and cause a lack of condensation. The Best way to determine if this is the case is to pull the AC unit and verify the Gasket is installed. 3 AC units(ducted) should freeze you out in 85/90 degree weather. Doug

cougar28
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like it may be low on freon. Check for dirty plugged condenser first if not that and compressor and fan is running its probably low on Freon.
2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
s there any cold air coming from that unit?
My first guess is the fan is running but the compressor is not!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
How's the voltage?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
Iโ€™d take the cover off and see if the condenser is dirty and make sure the unitโ€™s ductwork isnโ€™t compromised so itโ€™s getting intake air from between the roof and ceiling.

But start getting your wallet ready.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73