cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck Camper Struts - Good? Useless?

dgcarlson
Explorer
Explorer
Lance model 880 (10'9") Extended. Ford F-350 Extended cab with Rancho 9000 shocks. Any reason I should pay $800 to have struts installed?
2005 4x4 Ford F-350 Super Cab Lariat SRW, 6.0 Powerstroke diesel with 1995 Lance Model 880.
6 REPLIES 6

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
In my very limited experience with TC's

1. A Lance owner, with struts installed, said it was very solid

2. I don't think I'd put them onto a TC that wasn't designed to handle the strain

3. Question? What kind of tie-downs do you use? I noticed the Canadian rental companies, whose rigs end up on Alaska Highway and other rough places, use beams that cross under the chassis. No struts on the TC itself. It seems to me, just from observation, that the better-looking tie-downs, attached to box and bumper, can't secure the TC as well as frame-mounted ones. Can't prove it, just saying...
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I read the article, very informative. They may work but I wouldn't want anything absorbing that force that is just attached to some wood in the nose of the camper with 2 little screws. That part of the camper (except maybe for a Lance) doesn't seem designed to take force like the bottom and jack attachment points do.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
They will settle down the fore and aft jiggle from the camper working the bed of the truck. We get jiggles with no trailer. Hook up the bike trailer on the 2 ft extension and Air Safe WD hitch and the ride improves to eerie smoothness...

PRodacy
Explorer
Explorer
I've never experienced any of the porpoising described in the Truck Camper magazine article, and I don't know anyone who felt that they needs the struts. The newer trucks are heavier duty than ghe ones from the 70's, so what was needed then may not be necessary now. I'd try the rig without them for now. If you have a lot of porpoising problems, you can always add them later for the same cost. If you find that you don't need them, you've saved a lot of money. I don't see any reason to add gadgets or fix things until I know that I need to.
2012 GMC 3500 dually 4x4
2006 OKanagan 90W
2003 Jeep Rubicon, modified for off road performance

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting article. As the young baby boomer population got older they went to MHs & 5ers. They stay at RV parks instead of boone dock camping. In the 70s in CA you could put a motorbike rack on the back of a TC and not be limited to 55 mph. We all worked then and only had a weekend or maybe just a Saturday to camp. Desert camping in the winter and mountains in the summer.

Yes, those struts really worked. I had them on several TCs back in the 70s. A real necessity on a large cabover over a crew cab. If you get porposing on the highway struts will help take it out.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Take a gander at this article from the folks at Truck Camper Magazine:

Clicky