cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TT With Horizontal Mount LP Tanks?

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
I am assuming this isn't very common but I was thinking about moving them from the hitch to mount other items.

The tanks are easily found at rv supply and are sold for use on vans. The distance from TT to the ground is higher than that of a van.

Is there a reason why tanks aren't hidden underneath or side-mounted?
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog
7 REPLIES 7

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
grizzzman wrote:
qtla9111 wrote:
I am assuming this isn't very common but I was thinking about moving them from the hitch to mount other items.

The tanks are easily found at rv supply and are sold for use on vans. The distance from TT to the ground is higher than that of a van.

My inlaws have a 2016 trailer that has 2 5 gal. Tanks side mounted in a side compartment and it is well ventilated. Do it right and it should not matter.

I would imagine that those are 20# horizontal 'portable' cylinders that are removed from trailer to be refilled.

OP........

Permanently mounting horizontal cylinders in a trailer may run into issues getting them refilled......not due to any regulations or such but due to getting truck/trailer into area of propane dispensing equipment.
Simple Logistics. So you may be limiting your refill options.

BUT if you are talking about portable horizontal cylinders......just pull them out and go get refilled just like truck campers do
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
My bad. I did not realize they were even made that small.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/lp-gas/lp-gas-tanks.htm

For me I would be opting for the larger size... just because I could.

grizzzman
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
5 gal? I would assume for the trouble the OP would go with 2x 20 gallon.
Even a propane generator might be tolerable with that much fuel. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I would think that is for op to decide dont you? I was simpley stating what came stock on there rig from the factory.
2019 Ford F150 EcoBoost SuperCrew
2016 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S. TM2030 SC2030
640 Watts Solar. Costco CG2 208 AH and Lifepo4 3P4S 150 AH Hybrid. ElectroDacus. Renolagy DC to DC charger. 2000 Watt Inverter.
Boondocking is my Deal

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
5 gal? I would assume for the trouble the OP would go with 2x 20 gallon.
Even a propane generator might be tolerable with that much fuel. ๐Ÿ˜‰

grizzzman
Explorer
Explorer
qtla9111 wrote:

My inlaws have a 2016 trailer that has 2 5 gal. Tanks side mounted in a side compartment and it is well ventilated. Do it right and it should not matter.
2019 Ford F150 EcoBoost SuperCrew
2016 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S. TM2030 SC2030
640 Watts Solar. Costco CG2 208 AH and Lifepo4 3P4S 150 AH Hybrid. ElectroDacus. Renolagy DC to DC charger. 2000 Watt Inverter.
Boondocking is my Deal

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
At least for motor vehicles (and I assume they apply for trailers), there are some DOT regulations regarding where propane tanks may be mounted. As I recall, it basically boiled down to the idea that they have to be within the outline of the framework of the vehicleโ€”they cannot be on top of the roof, or strapped on the back bumper, or hanging down underneath below the vehicle structure. They do, of course, also have to be well vented on the underside (so that any propane that leaks or escapes through the safety pressure relief valve can dissipate).

If you can mount a permanent tank such that these requirements are met, I don't see any reason why it would not be acceptable for a travel trailer. Likewise, if you can safely mount a portable cylinder someplace other than the tongue, be it a horizontal or a more common vertical one, that would also be OK.

Bear in mind that a permanent ASME tank will be heavier than portable DOT cylinder(s) of the same capacity. That may or may not be of any concern in your particular situation.

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
I would suspect that they are permanently mounted and that means the trailer has to go to the station to be refilled. Not very good for seasonal types.