cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Turnigy meter question

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
When a Turnigy is used to monitor charging, the charging source is the source side, and the battery is on the load side. If the charging source is off, will the meter show the battery voltage? It doesn't seem so from what I see of it.

There is an aux power input. If that was powered up, would it then register batt voltage in the above scenario?

Thanks.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.
11 REPLIES 11

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
Got it, thanks! I hope to have some solar results to post soon.
๐Ÿ™‚

MrWizard
yes, one heavy duty power lead , the negative aka wire is attached to the built in shunt

put the meter on the battery side of the contrtoller,
Not the panel side
measure what is going ino the batteries
attach red wire of meter, with or without switch to the red wire going to batteries
meter will always have power
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
Old & Slow wrote:
I also have the same meter. The right side of the meter is the load side (battery) and the left side is the Source (panel) The switch is needed in battery side so as to Disconnect the battery power (Red) for two seconds to reset for data readout. I've read the two reds are tied together in the meter. Hmm lot's of fun

I have my Watt Meter just handing below the MPPT controller in the shop connected to my 24v/120w Cynergy Panel and two 12v batts in series.

My Watt Meter was mfg for SUN-BORN Energy by Turnigy It's on EBay at $42.95 plus shipping.

O$S
Floyd

Yeah, I watched a bad, boring youtube video where the guy took one apart, and the reds are both soldered to one point. It probably has a shunt on the negative side, and does the math from that and the volt readings.

I got Mr. Wizard's part about using the switch to reset, but wasn't sure about his wording on the overall hookup. Now I get it, assuming you and he are describing the same thing. Well, I've got one coming, although from where I have no idea, lol. I don't know if it's going to take 5 days or 5 weeks.

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Snowman
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

Old___Slow
Explorer
Explorer
I also have the same meter. The right side of the meter is the load side (battery) and the left side is the Source (panel) The switch is needed in battery side so as to Disconnect the battery power (Red) for two seconds to reset for data readout. I've read the two reds are tied together in the meter. Hmm lot's of fun

I have my Watt Meter just handing below the MPPT controller in the shop connected to my 24v/120w Cynergy Panel and two 12v batts in series.

My Watt Meter was mfg for SUN-BORN Energy by Turnigy It's on EBay at $42.95 plus shipping.

O$S
Floyd

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
mine shows battery voltage
i get to record the overnight low voltage

mine is wired to the battety/output side of the controller going to the batteries
so the power red lead is connected to the batteries charge line, thru a switch i use as the reset
so it reads battery voltage even when the solar is off
every evening after taking my daily reading, i hit the reset

I'm sorry, I'm still confused. ๐Ÿ™‚
Are you providing battery power to the unit when the solar is off?

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
mchero wrote:
what is a Turnigy?

See here

MrWizard
mine shows battery voltage
i get to record the overnight low voltage

mine is wired to the battety/output side of the controller going to the batteries
so the power red lead is connected to the batteries charge line, thru a switch i use as the reset
so it reads battery voltage even when the solar is off
every evening after taking my daily reading, i hit the reset
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

shooted
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I use a 9 volt battery.

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
what is a Turnigy?
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

Flyfasteddie
Explorer
Explorer
Snowman9000 wrote:
When a Turnigy is used to monitor charging, the charging source is the source side, and the battery is on the load side. If the charging source is off, will the meter show the battery voltage? It doesn't seem so from what I see of it.

There is an aux power input. If that was powered up, would it then register batt voltage in the above scenario?

I assume this is the company that supplies electronics for the radio control industry? What model is the unit? I have an AstroFlight monitor that sounds very similar to what you have. If so, it's designed primarily to test battery discharge rates and electric motor power usage. In these scenarios the battery is always on the "source" side and it will show battery voltage all the time.

It sounds like you are able to monitor charging by running it in the opposite direction, but I think the meter needs power on the source side to run the display.