cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Two inverters for 50 amp service

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
We have a Go Power IC Series 3000 watt inverter and 50 amp service on our 5th wheel. I have 2 complaints about it that I wasn't aware of when it was installed.
The monitor panel only monitors Line 1. The current limit function only limits current on Line 1. So when plugged into a relative's 15 or 20 amp service, we can only see and control what is being drawn on Line 1. And I would like to control the current on both lines so we wouldn't inadvertently trip the breaker feeding the RV.
Is it possible to have two 2000 watt inverters (one on each line)? My dealer says no. But I don't see why not as nothing in the RV runs on 240 volts.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but to create 240 VAC for two 120 VAC lines, the 2 lines have to be out of phase. And if the lines were in phase, 0 VAC would be measured across the 2 lines. So the output of the 2 inverters would be out of phase when plugged into a 50 amp service and in phase when plugged into 30 (or less) amp service. But I don't see an issue with that. Am I missing something?
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah
64 REPLIES 64

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Cptnvideo wrote:
The monitor panel only monitors Line 1. The current limit function only limits current on Line 1. So when plugged into a relative's 15 or 20 amp service, we can only see and control what is being drawn on Line 1. And I would like to control the current on both lines so we wouldn't inadvertently trip the breaker feeding the RV.

Yes, you can get a current monitor that will display the current being draw on each leg, if that is what you want. This will NOT solve the problem of tripping a 15A or 20A service feeding your RV. When your RV is hooked to your relative's garage outlet the adapter will only feed 1/2 of your AC breaker box in your RV. That 1/2 can STILL pull 50A !

Cptnvideo wrote:
Is it possible to have two 2000 watt inverters (one on each line)? My dealer says no. But I don't see why not as nothing in the RV runs on 240 volts.

This statement has nothing to do with your first statement. Inverters are feed from batteries, not an outside AC voltage source. (Unless you are going to use an external battery charger connected to your relative's garage outlet. If you do this, you have the water tank problem. Will the incoming water (power from garage outlet) be able to keep up with the outgoing water (power to your RV))

Cptnvideo wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but to create 240 VAC for two 120 VAC lines, the 2 lines have to be out of phase. And if the lines were in phase, 0 VAC would be measured across the 2 lines. So the output of the 2 inverters would be out of phase when plugged into a 50 amp service and in phase when plugged into 30 (or less) amp service. But I don't see an issue with that. Am I missing something?

(240VAC is not 2 phase. It is "split phase", but ...) You are correct ! You can do this but it will not meet any electrical code !

Can You Power a 240 Volt Panel With Two 120 Volt Inverters?

You can do something similar at your relatives house IF you can find another outlet that is on the opposite leg from the breaker panel and you have the correct adapter (likely custom made).

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Cptnvideo wrote:
time2roll wrote:
My suggested 50 amp battery charger would have done about the same thing. Glad to hear the GP is working for you.

I guess I don't understand your suggestion.
I have 1600 watts solar, 618 ah LFP batteries, Victron MPPT controller, and a 3kw GoPower inverter/charger. And what I want to do is run a few more amps of load than what shore power provides. Not always, just on occasion like my example of the heat pump.
What would a 50 amp charger do that my inverter/charger wouldn't do?

The idea was to not plug in the RV. Just run on the inverter. And use a simple battery charger from the limited supply to keep the battery charged. At times the inverter may draw more power and start depleting the battery. Once the large load cycles off the battery charger refills the battery. Also while the large load is running the battery charger would reduce the load on the battery.

The load on the outlet would always be limited to the rating of the battery charger.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cptnvideo,

He means the battery charger would have done just about the same thing as the inverter/charger using the idea of "double conversion".

Shore power-->battery charger-->battery bank-->inverter-->RV shore power cord.

The battery charger would not over load the shore power connection. Which is not quite the same thing that the inverter/charger does.

Double conversion works well but is not as efficient as a hybrid inverter/charger. The battery charger is about 87% efficient; and the inverter is about the same at 87%. That means total losses are 26%. Your inverter/charger is about 87% so the loss is only 13%.

Long before I had a hybrid inverter/charger I often used double conversion. My RV is still set up to do that because some shore power connections (gfci) don't play well with the Magnum.

I'm glad to hear your results! Congratulations!
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
time2roll wrote:
My suggested 50 amp battery charger would have done about the same thing. Glad to hear the GP is working for you.

I guess I don't understand your suggestion.
I have 1600 watts solar, 618 ah LFP batteries, Victron MPPT controller, and a 3kw GoPower inverter/charger. And what I want to do is run a few more amps of load than what shore power provides. Not always, just on occasion like my example of the heat pump.
What would a 50 amp charger do that my inverter/charger wouldn't do?
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
Time2roll (and any others that are interested)
I did the load share test while plugged into a 15 amp outside outlet while we had a short stay at my wife's daughter's home. And I was pleasantly surprised. Nights got down to the low 50s. Line 2 load ran 4 to 5 amps, so I set the load share limit to 8 amps. (Remember now that the GoPower load share only limits current draw on Line 1.) I then turned on the charger part of the GoPower inverter (per GoPower) and set the heat pump thermostat to 70ยฐ (heat pump is on Line 1). I also adjusted the charge rate to 10%. When the heat pump ran, it drew about 20 amps from the batteries and when the heat pump was off, the charger was putting about 20 amps back into the batteries. I did have a net loss of about 60 ah overnight as the heat pump run time exceeded the off time.
I hope my explanation makes sense.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
I read the original post and skipped everything else !

Will it work ? QUALIFIED YES !

Can You Power a 240 Volt Panel With Two 120 Volt Generators?

I have not seen any RV that has 240V appliances and those clearly will NOT work !

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cptnvideo wrote:
You're also missing the point, Don.
Bigger inverter implies not using shore power assist, which would therefore require more/bigger batteries.

Hi Cptn,

Nope. I'd never buy an inverter/charger that did not allow load support or shore power assist. It is FAR to convenient a feature to give up.

I actually down sized my battery bank once I had the Magnum unit.

On the other hand--I started with just a 2500 watt inverter and "limited" my power use by only plugging in the converter (about 800 watts). I'd plug the shore power cord into the inverter and do "double conversion".

I still have that ability as some gfci circuits do not play well with the Magnum 3000 hybrid inverter charger.

That "feature", the STUPID decision to use 120 volt cooling fans, and HUGE input surge are why I do NOT recommend the Magnum.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks, t2r.
We're currently plugged into 50 amp 2 pole at DW's sister's home. But when we get back to Phoenix in December, we will have the opportunity to augment 15 amp shore power.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
You still don't get it.
Check my signature, read my previous posts in this thread, read the specs and manual for the GoPower IC3000.
Then reply.
Thanks.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Get a battery charger that will pull 80% of the available power to charge the battery.

The other issue is voltage drop and the power support inverters do not give voltage support. If the voltage sags in the park it could put you out of business.

Check the specs but most chargers will work down to 90 volts.

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
Load sharing isn't necessary for 50 amp shore. Doesn't exist for dry camping. It's for 15/20/30 shore power augmentation.
I might want to run 20 amps of loads while on 15 amp shore. With load sharing I would draw 50 ah from my batteries instead of 200 ah.

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
You're also missing the point, Don.
Bigger inverter implies not using shore power assist, which would therefore require more/bigger batteries.