cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Unable to install P.I. EMS HW30C bypass

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Tried to finally install a factory remote bypass on my EMS. Procedure is simple, exceptโ€ฆ
Instructions state to put the remoteโ€™s black wire on the empty spade lug under the white neutral input wire. THERE IS NO EMPTY LUG. There are two occupied lugs with wires going to other components.
Of course, doing this on Sunday, there is no tech support at P.I. Have to call them during the workday tomorrow ;(
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,
14 REPLIES 14

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bobbo wrote:

Actually, I have seen phone cords wired both ways. For the phone, it doesn't matter. The wires are utilized as pairs. The outer pair (1 and 4 in your example) are one phone line. The inner pair (2 and 3 in your example) are a second phone line. Since the phone wiring doesn't care about polarity, it doesn't matter.

Actually it depends on the phone A rotary dial old fashion phone you are correct.. many Touch Phones if you reverse the "Ring and Tip" wires they won't dial out.. You can still talk but you can not dial out.

and some have other polarity issues like dial lights.

Lineman reversed ring and tip on me (The two active wires. are called "Ring and Tip" due to the 3-Wire 1/4 Inch plug used on old switch boards.. They connected to the Ring and Tip terminals on the plug)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank you. That is the EMS-LCHW30 unit. As you can tell from the discussions above, knowing the correct model can make a difference.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
While the OP has not addressed this, I would bet he has the EMS-LCHW30 instead of the EMS-HW30C.

I used the numbers on my downloaded manual. I have the hardwired 30 amp P.I. EMS without remote display, whatever the letters and numbers.
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
While the OP has not addressed this, I would bet he has the EMS-LCHW30 instead of the EMS-HW30C.
Bobbo and Lin

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Turns out there are two more male lugs under the supply neutral behind the other two occupied ones. On my hands and knees with a crinked neck to find them. Had to remove the supply line to gain access and split the cable sheathing further on the switch for the new wires to reach their connectors. Yes it is a small 2 wire cable that is sized/colored to look like phone line. Install complete. My EMS is on the wheel well under the aft dinette bench, a fun working location. The P.I. tech was very helpful and has units on hand to walk you through the install/repair.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
There is a difference betwen a data cable and a phone cable.. BUT if the data cable is too short.. you use a standard modular phone cable to extend..

What is the the fiffernece

On a phone cable if you look at it the wires on one end would be numbered With the tabs up

1 2 3 4 and on the other end also tabs up 4 3 2 1

On the data cable Both ends would be 1.2.3.4

(The ends are "Flipped" on the phone cord.

On the phone EXTENSION cable.. the double female connector you use to join them "Flips" the leads so what was lead 1,,,, Remains lead 1

Actually, I have seen phone cords wired both ways. For the phone, it doesn't matter. The wires are utilized as pairs. The outer pair (1 and 4 in your example) are one phone line. The inner pair (2 and 3 in your example) are a second phone line. Since the phone wiring doesn't care about polarity, it doesn't matter.
Bobbo and Lin

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I purchased a 30' data cable for about $10.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
CA Traveler wrote:
Bobbo wrote:
I'm confused. I thought the remote display/disconnect was a data cable similar to a phone cord or ethernet cord that just plugged into a connector on the EMS case.
It is a data cable similar to a phone cord.

There is a difference betwen a data cable and a phone cable.. BUT if the data cable is too short.. you use a standard modular phone cable to extend..

What is the the fiffernece

On a phone cable if you look at it the wires on one end would be numbered With the tabs up

1 2 3 4 and on the other end also tabs up 4 3 2 1

On the data cable Both ends would be 1.2.3.4

(The ends are "Flipped" on the phone cord.

On the phone EXTENSION cable.. the double female connector you use to join them "Flips" the leads so what was lead 1,,,, Remains lead 1
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
ScottG wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
Bobbo wrote:
I'm confused. I thought the remote display/disconnect was a data cable similar to a phone cord or ethernet cord that just plugged into a connector on the EMS case.

As a side note, a phone cord actually works perfectly for this. I used a standard RJ11 jack phone cord and in-line coupler to extend mine - even though the manual says otherwise.
The cord you used has 2 wires reversed and does not work by inself. However with 2 cords with a coupler the lines are reversed twice making it the equivalent of a data cord. Hence the manual is either right or wrong depending...:@
At least that is how I remember it...

Bob

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
CA Traveler wrote:
Bobbo wrote:

As a side note, a phone cord actually works perfectly for this. I used a standard RJ11 jack phone cord and in-line coupler to extend mine - even though the manual says otherwise.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
CA Traveler wrote:
Bobbo wrote:

Unless he has the EMS-LCHW30 which has no provision for a remote display/bypass. They do sell a remote bypass switch for the EMS-LCHW30. I bet that is what he has. He just misidentified his unit. Or, he bought the wrong remote disconnect. Maybe he bought the one for the EMS-LCHW30 when he needed the one for the EMS-HW30C. He is quoting the instructions for the remote bypass for the EMS-LCHW30.
Bobbo and Lin

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bobbo wrote:

Bob

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm confused. I thought the remote display/disconnect was a data cable similar to a phone cord or ethernet cord that just plugged into a connector on the EMS case. Or, do you actually have the EMS-LCHW30 that has the display and bypass on the unit case, itself, but no remote display/disconnect?
Bobbo and Lin

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not sure what you are trying to do. My HW50C remote display has a switch to disable the EMS. ie No detection of a power problem.

Bob