Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Update to High efficiency 4.5W flat LED light modules

me2
Explorer
Explorer
Here is an update to this thread.
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26488825/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1.cfm

I replaced the incandescent bulbs with LED modules in all the light fixtures in our trailer.

To do this I took down all the fixtures in our trailer, soldered leads on each LED module and then soldered the leads into the fixture. I attached the modules to the fixtures with double sided sticky tape.

I used 1 module per incandescent bulb.

We've been using them for a couple years now. They work fantastic.

No more worries about running the batteries down and our solar panels easily replenish whatever energy they use during the night. And they are way brighter than the bulbs they replaced.

We now leave the bathroom light on all night. Our kids stay up late reading all the time, using the light in their bunk. Its great to have good light in our trailer.
18 REPLIES 18

me2
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
A head-to-head comparison would be the only way to resolve this. Lumen measurements and watt ratings are so skewed in the LED marketing world they are meaningless.

Not so. Most LED semiconductor devices have lumen versus current diagrams. Its easy for the manufacturer to figure out or measure current draw. Fairly easy to quote the lumen output on a module.

One thousand lumens is BRIGHT.
The double fixtures in our trailer have 2 x 480 lumen modules in them and nobody is complaining about too much light. And in an RV its easy to switch off every second fixture if you want to create some ambiance. It's so nice to be able to see well in our trailer.

I have no regrets doing this project. It cost me about $150 to do the entire trailer (31 modules x ~$4 each + tape). I would do it exactly the same again, save I would use a different module if I found a better one. At this point I have not.

KJINTF
Explorer
Explorer
me2

Thanks for the post and the link
I ordered 10 of them
For <$40.00 a very good deal the way I see it

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
A head-to-head comparison would be the only way to resolve this. Lumen measurements and watt ratings are so skewed in the LED marketing world they are meaningless. Asking milliamp draw @ 12.00 volts is better but eyeballing light output along with milliamp draw is the only way to keep comparisons realistic.

Some of the early non-buyincoins purchases of plates have failed. Patches of non op devices splotch the plate --- INSIDE REFRIGERATION EQUIPMENT (display cases) MAINTAINED AT 40F.

One thousand lumens is BRIGHT. My 10-volt, 10-watt chips require a (now) twenty-dollar star 90mm heatsink. Now to expect 470 ma. chips to function without benefit of any heatsink is a little hard to swallow. I adjusted current through the 10-watt chips to OEM spec recommendations.

Dealing with the LED industry is like enduring a gathering of sports fishermen. If you expect facts a brain surgeon is a definite recommendation.

me2
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Problem.

The buyincoins plates run warm as-is. Without doubling dissipation area how is heat going to leave the plate. Something does not fit and it is not minor.

How much heat gets generated depends on a few things, mostly how efficient the LED devices are and how the current is controlled on the modules.

The 4.5W modules I use have 1 resistor per 4 or 5 (I forget) LEDs. And they are rated to a max voltage of 15V IIRC. If modules are rated to higher voltages (18, 24 or 32V are out there), they must use more resistors to drop the voltage and thus they will be less efficient and create more heat. They will also output less light when run on 12V.

Most people don't know about this and don't care, but in our application having a module that is designed specifically to run very close to the maximum voltage in the trailer makes for the best operation.

me2
Explorer
Explorer
I was worried about heat building up as well. If you look at how I did things, the double sided tape attaches the modules to the aluminum reflector in the light fixtures. It's pretty hard for the tape to get hot when attached to such a good heat conductor.

My trailer has mixture of 19 single and double bulb fixtures. None of the modules have come detached/loose in any of the fixtures in spite of taking the trailer over some very rough roads, including logging roads.

I also used genuine 3M double sided tape. I got it at Home Depot.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Problem.

The buyincoins plates run warm as-is. Without doubling dissipation area how is heat going to leave the plate. Something does not fit and it is not minor.

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for posting. I had bought some of those 48 5050 panels as the other poster mentioned and the light output was good but they became very hot and actually shriveled up the adhesive backing on them to the size of a postage stamp LOL. The ones that you used must be of better quality if you are using double sided tape and they are still holding up good after a few years. I will pick up a few to test them out!

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

me2
Explorer
Explorer
My pleasure. I'm glad you liked it.

Ron_Nielson
Explorer
Explorer
me2

Great project and thanks for posting it.

me2
Explorer
Explorer
Vixen21 wrote:
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Buck seventy-five ea.

buyincoins.com

Right Here

"Lumen: about 240lm" "about" ? You need 2 of these modules to replace one that I used.

me2
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
Guess I'm confused why you would not us these panesl for $2.25 which are plug and stick? 48 5050 instead of 30.

1) They weren't available when I did this project 3 years ago.

2) That seller doesn't list watts, lumens or light temperature. I wouldn't buy them without specs.

me2
Explorer
Explorer
Vulcan Rider wrote:
me2 wrote:

I used 1 module per incandescent bulb.

What was the cost per bulb replaced ? (I see that was answered already.)

There are plug and play replacement bulbs easily available with adequate light for less than $1.50 each and the time involved is about 30 seconds each.

The provide adequate light but maybe not as much as yours.
4.5 watts is actually quite bright.

If they are 480 lumens, go for it. I suspect they are much less.

And I didn't want a round bulb. I wanted a flat module.

Vixen21
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Buck seventy-five ea.

buyincoins.com

Right Here

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Buck seventy-five ea.

buyincoins.com